Gheerulla campground QLD

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 14:40
ThreadID: 102949 Views:2921 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone has experience with this campground?
Camps 6 rates it very poor (Nr 160) although the on the internet description I found it looks fine:
-------------
Getting there: This campground is located in Mapleton Forest Reserve, 3.2 km from Gheerulla.
From Gheerulla follow Eumundi Kenilworth Rd northwest for about 1.5 km. Turn right onto Sam Kelly Rd and take the road for another 1.7 km.Access: 2WD. Stay: Car, tent camping, caravans, camping trailers.Facilities: Picnic tables, wood barbecues, toilets. Bring your own firewood and drinking water.Fees and booking: Camping - $5 per adult/ per night. Car entry - free.
-------------------
Caravan parks near the coast are extremely expensive and I only use 5% of the services, I do not go to vacation in a Caravan Park......
Does anyone has visited the area? Mapleton Falls, Maleny, , Kondalilla and Conondale National Parks.
Really many paid camps and Caravan Parks are the antithesis of travelling and camping (and are getting the hell of expensive) when you wish to travel and stay when in some place when the night approaches.
Thanks in Advance
Carlo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 15:35

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 15:35
Trailbikes!!!!!!

Try Charlie Moreland or Baloomba Creek just south of Kenilworth. (pay sites)

Alan
AnswerID: 513791

Reply By: Liz S2 - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 21:04

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 21:04
I'm local on the Sunshine Coast, but haven't actually stayed there. I've driven past and it looked OK, very low key, but reasonable.

As the previous reply said, the other national park spots, like Charlie Moreland or Little Yabba etc are all very lovely and not expensive as they are national park. Lots to choose from around Kenilworth - I think there is also a freebie spot on the Yabba Creek, to the south of Kenilworth and just before the turn off into the main Charlie Moreland area. (Opposite the Sunday Creek turnoff, near the Fig Tree walk - there is a loop in the river which is a public picnic spot that our friends ofdten stay at free.) So it's worth a poke around to find a nice spot near Kenilworth..

If all you need is a stayover place, then at the junction of the Steve Irwin Way and the Bruce Highway (about level with Caloundra but out on the highway) is a recognised layover spot, I haven't seen it in the books but it is a legitimate spot and has approx 5-15 over-nighters. It might seem like it's near traffic, but is sufficiently off the highway and amongst trees,, with toilets and shelters.

An informal one I often drive by is on the Nambour Connection Road (north of Big Pineapple) and at the side of Paynter Creek, near Foley Road. It is a a fairly large day picnic area, with trees and a few areas set back from the road - I have seen people stay overnight there.

Another choice would be next to the Yandina Sports facilities, up near the BMX track at Yandina, they meet on Monday and Wed nights, and there are markets early Sat morning; often people stay in the dirt carpark next to the BMX track ready for the markets. I don't see why you couldn't stay a night or two there just quietly.

so, depending on if you just want a quickly accessible place, or want to get into the hinterland beauty, there are quite a few choices.

Liz
AnswerID: 513846

Follow Up By: Liz S2 - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 21:06

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 21:06
When I start by saying 'haven't actually stayed there' - I mean at Gheerulla; we've camped at lots of other places like Charlie Moreland.
FollowupID: 792627

Follow Up By: ferrarofilms - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 01:30

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 01:30
Thanks Liz, good menu of choices.
Carlo
FollowupID: 792641

Sponsored Links