Cape Le Grand or Cape Arid?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 18:41
ThreadID: 102975 Views:2422 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We're nipping down to this beautiful part of WA the day after tomorrow, with sunny weather forecast (though not exactly hot......brrrr). Which National Park of these two would you recommend - looking for a beautiful beach, hopefully relatively sheltered, that the kids can run around on, and ideally a campsite right by the beach or a very quick walk to it. Not doing any boating. Will use either a camper trailer or tent, so ideally a site with a bit of bush around it rather than just a line of caravans. I was thinking Le Grand Beach at CLG or Thomas River at Cape Arid - anyone been to either? Also, does anyone know if the lower Thomas River site (managed but not owned by DEC) allows campfires? I'm pretty sure none of the DEC ones allow it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 18:52

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 18:52
Hi Carolyn,

Lucky you! Both are beautiful, but Cape le Grand might suit you better by a very short margin. Its right on very beautiful Lucky Bay and with luck there wont be too much seagrass washed up on the beach. No campfires there though, you can have one at the old Thomas R campground. Bitumen all the way to ClG and most of the way to CA - the rest is good gravel.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 513830

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 19:42

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 19:42
G'day Carolyn,
They are certainly are both fantastic spots. Cape Arid is a little less popular with the crowds so it's my pick but they are both great places to visit.
Had our best close up views of Southern Right Whales at both Le Grand & Cape Arid over the years. Not the right season for them at present though unfortunately.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 513835

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 20:42

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 20:42
Hi Carolyn

There are also low cost Shire campgrounds. If you contact me through my profile with your email address, I can send you a brochure with details of all the DEC and Shire coastal Campgrounds in the Esperance area.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 513844

Follow Up By: Carolyn R2 - Monday, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:33

Monday, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:33
Thanks Motherhen. Unfortunately we only had 2 days to fill before heading back across the Nullabor. I would have loved to spend more time in the area. So beautiful!
FollowupID: 793964

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 20:44

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 20:44
Thomas river has always been a personal fave of mine set in thick banksia alongside the creek
The beach where you drive out is hard packed and quite sheltered.
Nearby there is a bushwalk to a lagoon full ofswans
The headlands make great walking the rocks on top have geckos and spotted thigh frogs underneath.
For nightime entertainment roam the banks of the creek with a torch spotting creeklife
AnswerID: 513845

Reply By: Carolyn R2 - Monday, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:36

Monday, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:36
Thanks everyone for the responses. We ended up having a couple of days at Lucky Bay, visiting Hellfire Bay, the next Cove around and climbing Frenchman's Peak. All stunningly beautiful. Sad not to make it to Cape Arid but good to leave something to come back to!
AnswerID: 514826

Sponsored Links