Small Solar Panel

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 13:33
ThreadID: 102987 Views:1711 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2 watt panel maintaining my boat batteries. I had to disconnect and rewire the plugs the other day, was interrupted and when I came back to it I had forgotten which wire was positive!

I can find that with a multimeter but I have since been told that I need a diode? in the system to stop the battery voltage going back into the solar panel.

It used to have a cigarette lighter plug attached with a flashing light. Inside that plug was a small circuit board with transistors etc which I thought was just to power the LED flashing light.

Now, I think that the circuit board was probably the 'block' on the battery current.

Can anyone answer these and/or suggest a solution apart from getting a new panel...
1. Can I test the circuit board with the multimeter?

2. Do I need a 'block' in the line?

3. if I need a 'block' is there one in Jaycar that will do the job?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for spending the time to help,

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 13:43

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 13:43
G'day Bill,

1 Yes, I think you can. You will have to connect the circuit board to the battery and then put a multimeter set on, say 20V DC range, across the input. If it is blocking there should be zero volts.

2 If the panel is connected direct to the battery, then I think you do. Is it really only 2 watts, or have you made a typo and it's 20 watts or some other value?

3 Yes. See here.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513872

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 13:55

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 13:55
Thanks Frank.

Yes only 2 watts.

Since been told that I don't need a regulator with a low power panel but there must be something in the line to stop the battery current going back out at night.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 792674

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 14:24

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 14:24
Bill,

When you do the test in item 1 above, the panel will have to be disconnected or blocked completely from any light.

I have no idea of the function of the little CB you're testing, but if it turns out to be a blocker you won't need the diode.

If you install the diode put it in the positive line with the band on the end of the diode toward the battery, or in the negative with the band toward the panel.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 792678

Sponsored Links