Driving from Melbourne to Albany /Pemberton please help us with routes

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 21:01
ThreadID: 102991 Views:2412 Replies:8 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone!!!

I am a newbie! please help me to find routes, directions and things to keep in mind.

We are a couple relocating from Melbourne to Pemberton and planning to drive in mid July 2013.

I have read couple of forums but its confusing as i have too many things to remember and to note!

Thought of getting all info. at one place hopefully i will find and get some answers and directions from experts and seniors here.

I have also put up ads on couple of sites for a share drive! hopefully i will find someone!

Fingers crossed

Thanks in advance!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 21:35

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 21:35
You are lucky to be relocating to Pemberton. I was born there many years ago and still have rellies there.
Anyway back to your questions. Use a map site such as Whereis or Google Map to plan your route. It is a reasonably straight forward trip on good sealed roads, just a long way. If you are not towing a van there is motel accommodation at roadhouses across the Nullarbor. Someone to share the driving is not really essential as it is a fairly easy but long drive.
AnswerID: 513888

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 22:19

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 22:19
Click on this link if you do not know how to use the internet to access maps Wheris map Melbourne to Pemberton
FollowupID: 792712

Follow Up By: AjShryl - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 22:36

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 22:36
Hi Rod
That's great! Hopefully these sites will help us and yes we are not towing a van. we need to follow up on accommodation and thanks much!
FollowupID: 792716

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 07:31

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 07:31
Another thing to be aware of is the quarantine requirements. If you have driven into SA you would be aware that you can't take fruit and vegetables across the border. At the SA/WA border in addition to fruit and vegetables, honey and cardboard fruit boxes are prohibited. So if you are taking belongings don't pack them in used cardboard boxes, they WILL be confiscated.
FollowupID: 792724

Follow Up By: AjShryl - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 13:57

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 13:57
Whoa! That should be one of the top most point to be noted.
Thanks a ton!
FollowupID: 792751

Follow Up By: disco driver - Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 00:23

Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 00:23
Hi AjShryl,
For your information here is the WA agriculture and food website,
agric.wa.gov.au
Open this and then click on "Invasive Species" then on that page click on "Quarantine".
This will give all the necessary info regarding bringing stuff into WA on your trip
Happy Reading

Cheers
Disco.
FollowupID: 792790

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 01:00

Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 01:00
never heard that about cardboard before? I drove thru 3 weeks ago and got checked but there was no mention of my cardboard boxes?
FollowupID: 792792

Follow Up By: disco driver - Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 01:16

Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 01:16
fisho64,
Were your cardboard boxes fruit boxes, either new or used?
If not, no problems, if they were, you were lucky.

Back in the days when I was on relieving staff at the WA border checkpoint there were many travellers who had all their stuff packed loose in the car after the fruit boxes were confiscated.
It still happens to the unwary traveller.

There is a risk of introducing fruit pests and diseases into WA (We don't have many that the eastern states have.)

Cheers

Disco.
FollowupID: 792793

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 22:12

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 22:12
Do I understand that you dont have or maybe dont know how to use a roap map? If so dont worry as I suspect there are many others in the same boat.

Suggest for a trip like this one a good investment would be a comprehensive Australian road atlas like this one here from the ExplorOz shop. It will show you useful things like where to get fuel, accommodation etc, as well as highways and major and minor roads. Use the key in the front to see what the different colours and symbols mean.

There are numerous sealed roads that will get you to Port Augusta from Melbourne. Just choose the most direct route. There is only one sealed road that goes across the Nullarbor from Port Augusta in South Australia to Norseman in WA. When you get to Norseman turn south to the coast and follow the coastal highway until you get to Pemberton.

Its a long drive, though not difficult, but a co-driver would be helpful. Allow at least a week (or up to 10 days) to make the trip, especially if you are the only driver. Its a long way! Try not to drive at night as there will be wildlife (kangaroos, wombats, cattle even camels) on and around the roads at night. In July you wont have to worry about high temperatures, but you should carry and drink plenty of water. Make sure that your vehicle is in good mechanical condition before you leave, and that you have plenty of rubber on all your tyres including your spare. Make sure you can change a wheel if you need to. You wont get much mobile phone coverage across the Nullarbor, but there is plenty of traffic should you need assistance.

Hope that helps a bit, and enjoy the trip.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 513889

Follow Up By: AjShryl - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 13:52

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 13:52
Hi Val, Cheers for the info. given to me.

I have added Australian Road Atlas to my checklist

Now, i will give a thought about the co-driver,as the road drive doesn't seems to be difficult/hard as i thought earlier.

We have plenty of time.so we will drive by ourselves. (excited about the drive though)

Night drive and water point to be noted.

coming to car its a Ford Territory Wagon - Just bought it a week ago (this makes even more exciting trip)

Very helpful and useful info. Thanks again Val.
FollowupID: 792750

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 14:44

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 14:44
Hi AjShryl,

You will not find the drive difficult at all, most of the country you will go through is flat or with just small hills. The road is pretty straight and usually in good condition. You will encounter plenty of trucks going across the Nullarbor, just drive so they can get around you and you wont have any problems, and you wont need another vehicle accompanying you.

If you do have a mechanical problem most travellers are willing to stop and assist. Last trip we helped a young couple with a flat battery and were happy to do so.

In our heavily laden old 4WD going across the Nullarbor we would do 600 or 700km a day with us changing drivers every couple of hours. When you get your atlas you can work out each days travel and hence where to stop each night. If you have plenty of time make an adventure out of it. Some folk say the Nullarbor is boring but really there is a lot to see and experience, just soak it up.

Do try to get into the Head of the Bight where you should be able to see the southern Right Whales that come close in to the cliffs to calve. Seeing hem so close is quite breathtaking. Further west but ast of Ceduna are the wonderful Bunda cliffs, so plan a sightseeing stop there too. The south coast of WA has many beautiful beaches that you can stop at to stretch your legs.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792757

Follow Up By: AjShryl - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 17:47

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 17:47
Thanks for all your help and now we're all set on road routes.!!!
FollowupID: 793039

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 23:38

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 23:38
Hi AjShryl

Do you want to follow highways, take dirt road short cuts?

What sort of vehicle will you have and are you towing anything?

Do you need to go to Albany on the way?

Will you be set up for camping or will you be requiring motel accommodation?

Don't drive at night across the Nullarbor due to chance of animal strike.

There are several options once in Western Australia to get from Norseman to Pemberton, which is a piece of paradise.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 513895

Follow Up By: AjShryl - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 14:11

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 14:11
Hi Motherhen!

I have just a got route directions from ExplorOz (Dave's suggestion and took a printout of it ) and also planning to get a Australian Road Atlas.

Love to do sightseeing on the way.

Preferably motel accom. and also short nap in the car!

Night drive point noted

After all the suggestions and ideas at ExplorOz feeling confident and comfortable now!!!

Thanks for your help
FollowupID: 792753

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 14:40

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 14:40
If you do sightseeing along the way, see you over here next year LOL.

Basic motel rooms at the Nullarbor roadhouses and hotels or motels in most WA towns.

There are many options but if you need to go to Albany, following the highways around the coast will be a scenic and easy to follow route.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792756

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 15:06

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 15:06
I just ran 'Norseman to Pemberton' through the ExplorOz trip planner and the route it gives bypasses Albany (a bit of a short cut ). It looks similar to the one Nico gave a link to.

The easy 'can't get lost way' which does include Albany is the one that Val gave and all on main highways.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792758

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 01:00

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 01:00
You can do it right on this site.
Go up to the tab Places, then drop down menu shows driving directions.
type in your data and thats it.

cheers
Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 513897

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 07:48

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 07:48
Good morning Dave

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 792725

Follow Up By: AjShryl - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 14:24

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 14:24
Hi Dave

As suggested i have taken a print out of the route directions and here is the link Route Directions from Maribyrnong WA to Pemberton WA just wondering where and which place do you reckon to stop or stops while driving.

Thanks in advance!

FollowupID: 792754

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 21:39

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 21:39
I am sorry I cannot comment on the motel accommodation as our trips have been camping, and on a fairly loose schedule, so quite a bit of sight seeing as well.
It will depend on how much time you have to do your trip, but, as others have said, don't drive at night unless it is really necessary.
If you do, keep the speed down.
Adelaide is a reasonable drive from Melbourne, then through to Ceduna is another good days drive.
From there I think Eucla would be the next stop. That would give you a chance to check out the whales on the way.
Next stop would be Norseman, but, as I have said, I haven't stayed at any motels across there so maybe someone else has some suggestion.
Just make sure you get out and have a stretch every couple of hours.

cheers
Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792779

Reply By: Jeremy W - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 09:36

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 09:36
1. Take the Dukes highway to Murray Bridge via Horsham.

2. By pass Adelaide by taking the road to the town of Gawler via. Mt Pleasant.

3. From Gawler get onto tne Northern Express way via Willaston to the Port Wakefield road.

4. Head to Porta Gutta and you're on your way to WA ( head to Ceduna.
AnswerID: 513913

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 15:07

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 15:07
In days gone by I used Travelmate.com to plan trips etc. Advantage of this site is that you can pick scenic routes or fastest routes etc. Also it identifies places of interest along the way. if you have kids it also has a kids section.

Lots to see and do before you arrive in Pemberton.

When crossing the Nullabore call in atthe Head of the Bight to watch the whales. There is a cost to access the board walk but in 06 when we wee there we saw 12 whales and amother and calf would have only been about 50m away from us. Amazing and cheap experience.

If you're not in a hurry go via Esperence and Albany before heading north to Pemberton.
Enjoy the drive.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 513932

Follow Up By: AjShryl - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 17:55

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 17:55
Hi Dunc

We will drive via Esperance and Albany and of course the Great bight!

Just can't wait for the drive and very much looking forward for it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers
FollowupID: 793040

Reply By: allein m - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 15:21

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 15:21
the Gloucester tree is some thing worth seeing or if you want you can climb it I worked in pemberton for 6 or some months in the 70 s with bunnings timber nice town

thanks for the long forgotten memories
AnswerID: 513933

Follow Up By: AjShryl - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 17:58

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 17:58
Hi! Allein M,

Heard of the Gloucester Tree and the National Park too..Sounds amazing

Thanks for another popular place of interest.Cheers

FollowupID: 793041

Follow Up By: allein m - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 18:07

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 18:07
There was a bit in the local news here in Broken Hill (we get SA news here ) it said there was a fruite fly infection in Adelaide area it after some research they worked out it was a WA fly brought in by truck car no one knows so they may be much more stricker with cars and such the fruite fly inspection is at eucla

I did the trip by bus few years back 3 am freezing cold we had police drug guys with dogs who searched the bus and every one had to line up one silly girl had some weed in her handbag she was arrested and not sure what happened

enjoy your trip
FollowupID: 793043

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 18:34

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 18:34
Going from WA to SA the quarantine check point is just west of Ceduna. The Eucla one is only SA to WA.
FollowupID: 793045

Reply By: AjShryl - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 18:30

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 18:30
Hi Everyone,

Day 1 - Start point - Melbourne, VIC to Adelaide, SA - 719 kms - 7 hrs 46 mins

Day 2 Adelaide, SA to Port Augusta, SA- 308 kms - 3 hrs 17 mins
or Adelaide, SA to Ceduna, SA - 775 kms - 775 kms - 8 hrs 4 mins

Day 3 Ceduna, SA to Eucla, WA - 491 Kms - 5 hrs - (Stop Nullarbor, SA and Great Bight)

Day 4 Eucla, WA to Esperance, WA - 912 kms - 9 hrs 23 mins

Day 5 Esperance to Albany - 419 kms - 4 hrs 54 mins
(same day) Albany to Pemberton - 240 kms - 3 hrs

Please let me know if this sounds okay

Thanks

AnswerID: 514148

Sponsored Links