Our 8 week trip to the Kimberely begins on Monday

Submitted: Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 16:49
ThreadID: 103002 Views:1818 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
From the Southern Highlands to the Kimberley. First big 4WD and camper trailer trip for us. Motor cycle trips in Oz, Brazil, California no probs but this has taken more planning than anything we have done.

Orange, Nyngan, Yunta upto Arkaroola then find the Birdsville track and up to Bouliah.Alice Springs, Uluru and Mcdonnel Ranges. Tanami Track and into the Kimberley for 3 weeks (anti Clockwise) Cape Leveque 5 nights then to Willies Creek before we decide whether to head south (Perth and the Nullabor) or Sth East and cut a bit of a corner.

So, our forum friends, if you should see a 200 series on the side of the road with bonnet up and Pen with her head in and me on the ground in tears covered in spare parts, stop say hi. Help Pen fix the Landcruiser and I'll make you a cuppa.
Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid than to open it and remove all doubt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 17:13

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 17:13
You'll both have a great time. If your 200 is a diesel.....take a couple of fuel filters. Lookign forward to your blogs. Enjoy.
AnswerID: 513939

Follow Up By: Ian and Pen - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 17:25

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 17:25
Thanks , Arsenal Phill

2 fuel filters on board, just had 3rd battery installed which make filters a bit more difficult to change but I'm sure Pen will manage.

Blog! How? Help.
Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid than to open it and remove all doubt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 792766

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 17:34

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 17:34
Ian,

Blogs are essential. Keep a diary of your journey. When you get back (or while on the road if you have time, a computer and a link to the internet) you can get a blog up.

Go to the blogs button in the blue bar across the top of the page, click "new blog" and follow the prompts from there. We like to write our story in word, then copy the text into the blog. Insert a few photos (follow the prompts), and next thing you know squillions of folk will be reading about your adventures.

Hope you have a wonderful adventure.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 792767

Follow Up By: Ian and Pen - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 21:03

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 21:03
Thanks val, we've had so much going on here you would not believe. We just need this break. Mother in law in safe hands. we just need to get away! Just need this trip!

Pen and I need this trip.

It's gonna be awesome

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 792777

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 18:50

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 18:50
Hi Ian and Pen, that's a rushed trip of about 20,000km. Maybe with work you have no choice. Give the Tanami Road a big miss. It is absolutely rough on the NT side and boring all the way!! Go Boulia to Isa then across to 3 ways and up to Mataranka/Katherine where there's hot springs! But the Barkly's pretty boring too. LOL. Or Boulia to the Alice is scenic via the roughish Donohue and the very smooth Plenty as of 2 weeks ago. 2 nights at Cape Leveque - after an even more boring drive from Broome thru the scrub with nil to see - will cover all Kooljaman resort has to offer at $43/ night for power as they probably won't have unpowered sites available. Try and fit in the Giant Tides Tour at Cygnet Bay Pearl Farm.... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 513946

Follow Up By: lizard - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 23:21

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 23:21
Agree a bit with Warrie , as he said - across the top , much more scenic , go home via Gunbarrel Hwy (or great Central rd ) to Ayers Rock & the Alice
FollowupID: 792785

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 23:18

Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 23:18
Ian, if you travel with the same sense of humour that you just wrote with, you will ride out any troubles!
Have a damn good trip!
Jack Absalom (Broken Hill artist, outback travel advisor) used to say that if you ever had any problems, stop and make a campfire. Put the billy on. Have a cuppa.
While you're having your cuppa, play Solitaire.
Within a few minutes there'll be someone standing over your shoulder, telling you "Uh, the red jack goes on the black queen, mate"
And viola! Help is at hand!!!
:)
AnswerID: 514007

Reply By: Daisy G - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 16:25

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 16:25
When you arrive Alice Spring, never forget to take some beautiful photoes about the West macDonnell Ranges. Alice Springs is surrounding by the MacDonnell Ranges. If you have time, just experience the desert lifestyle.
AnswerID: 514686

Sponsored Links