Tail light problem

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 15:00
ThreadID: 103021 Views:1735 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Have a Toyota Prado that has started blowing tail light fuses leaving me unexpectedly without rear lights.
Can anyone advise me where I might start looking for what could be causing the problem or is it immediately off to the auto electrician?
I realise it's a big ask but someone else out there may have suffered a similar problem and know where to look.
Thanks
Terry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David Will (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 15:18

Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 15:18
Hi Terry,
I would start with trailer plug and see if wires are still all ok and also check for dirt or mud.
Hope this helps.
David
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 514026

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 15:19

Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 15:19
If you can use a multimeter, start by checking each tail light assembly in continuity mode.
(active wire to earth). This will identify which one (if any) has a dead short in it.

Failing that, an auto electrician is your best bet.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 514027

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 15:24

Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 15:24
Do that with your lights off, though, otherwise your meter won't like it.

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 792893

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 18:50

Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 18:50
As David said it is most likely the trailer 7 pin base or if it only happens when the trailer is plugged in then look at the trailer plug too.

It is common for a small stray strand of wire inside the base/plug to join to the earth wire.

If the vehicle has hit something the cable to the plug may have been squashed and that may short the wires and blow fuses. Look for damaged cables as well as checking inside the plugs.

The brown wire should have no contact with anything other than pin 7 in both the base and plug.
If any recent work was performed on the vehicle make sure the worker hasn't caught the wiring, damaged it and shorted it to earth.

Ross M
AnswerID: 514040

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 11:18

Monday, Jul 01, 2013 at 11:18
Terry,
All of the above plus look for any previous changes to the wiring. I had a similar problem in my Troopy and it was caused by a wire that had been added by just cutting, twisting and then taping up. After time the tape had gone hard and lost its stick leaving the bare join to rub against the body whenever I went over a bump. Mr Murphy made sure it was in the last place I looked having accessed just about everywhere there were wires !!

Frustrating but if you are patient and thorough you will find it. Most things have simple causes.

cheers
AnswerID: 514076

Reply By: Daisy G - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 16:13

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 16:13
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Advertising/Self-Promotion Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 514685

Sponsored Links