Water Purification

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 15:20
ThreadID: 103022 Views:1783 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Just looking at ExplorOz Shop and noticed the `SteriPEN'. Not really much information about it. Can anyone tell me how it works? and how good it is? Not being a scientist or biologist, a bit vacant when looking at this device. Also if it is any good, what sort of capacity of water can it purify?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 16:21

Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 16:21
I have a SteriPEN it works by using ultraviolet light to kill all the bacteria in the water.
There are a number of different models and plenty of information in the internet it you Google 'SteriPEN'. The model I have cost around $70 plus you need Lithium Ion batteries for another $15 to $20.

I have found what I consider to be a better option which is the LifeStraw which costs around $30 and will safely treat and clear all sorts of water, including muddy water, but not sea water. The straw is good for 1000 litres of water and is very easy to carry. You should Google LifeStraw.

Note that I do not own Google, not am I a major shareholder.

If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 514034

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 18:45

Sunday, Jun 30, 2013 at 18:45
"Note that I do not own Google, not am I a major shareholder"

:-)
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 792909

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:26

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:26
The Lifestraw seems to be just a filter down to 2 microns which would get the lumps out but the Steripen units both filter and purify to stop the nasties like guardia etc being in the water.
Different units for different applications?
AnswerID: 514123

Follow Up By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:50

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:50
If you can't be bothered to find out what the facts are, then why post mis-leading information.

The Steripen does not filter, it just kills the bacteria.

The LifeStraw is a personal Water Filter and Purifier. It removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria and 99.9% protozoan cysts.

It meets US EPA standard for a microbiological water purifier.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 793015

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 23:58

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 23:58
Hi Phill,
Have owned a steriPen for many years, use it mainly for hiking. Find it especially useful overseas and when we cannot get good quality drinking water on extended walks. It sterilises up to a litre of water at a time - not by killing the bacteria but by making any bacteria viruses or microbes in the water sterile or unable to reproduce - so when they die - they cause you no harm. This is a common method of treating water used by many authorities overseas.

The unit uses an ultraviolet light which is immersed into any suitably sized water container.(.5 or 1 litre) You choose the desired setting for the volume of water to be treated. Once the unit is activated - The light automatically turns on when immersed in water and turns off after a set period. The unit will flash green if the correct treatment time elapsed. It is best to ensure the water is moving within the container you are sterilising to ensure water furtherest from the UV light is fully sterilised

I find the customer service from the supplier to be excellent. The only issues I have had with one related to repeated operation of the unit in high humidity. The unit operates only when immersed in water (for safety reasons). In humid air, (SE Qld during summer) it may take a while for the sensors to dry out fully so you can reset the unit to sterilise a second litre of water. No problems otherwise.

Personally would not be without one as we do a fair bit of adventuring.
Hope this helps...
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 514170

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 09:10

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 09:10
Thanks Kerry. Just what I needed to know. May get one in the long run but after something bigger so that we can fill the tanks of the van with a degree of confidence that the water is good for use.
All the best
FollowupID: 793088

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 11:16

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 11:16
A number of the expedition vehicles use the Seagull 1V, it's capable of converting creek water etc to drinking water. It filters the water that comes out of the tap not into the holding tank though.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagull-X-1F-Drinking-Water-Purifier/dp/B0002L5AES/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1372813707&sr=8-4&keywords=seagull+iv
FollowupID: 793107

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 11:23

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 11:23
aussie link here

http://www.seagullwaterpurification.com/products/rv-boating/seagull-x-if-faucet-under-sink
FollowupID: 793109

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 11:49

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 11:49
I use a B.E.S.T water filter for filling my water tanks.

B.E.S.T
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 514197

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 15:48

Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 15:48
Reaching way back for microbiology info learned for one purpose only!

Bad microbes:

Bacteria
Viruses
Prions
Protozoa
Yeasts

Ah well, googled as well. Who needs a memory if they've got a net connection ;-)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/germs/ID00002

That doesn't cover yeasts but it's poss to get an infection of the throat which is hard to treat.

So in terms of water treatment, the q to ask of any system is what does it cover?

In some cases you'll need two methods.
AnswerID: 514340

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 16:04

Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 16:04
Corrections ..

Not all bacteria are bad. We're full of 'em!
By 'throat' I meant airway.

If the water is muddy and you want clear, some kind of prefilter will prolong the use of a filter.

Any filter system can still leave water tasting poor. Look at activated carbon post-filters to help here.

A _system_ will include all of: a filter to take out particulates, a method of killing 'germs' and a method of improving taste.
FollowupID: 793316

Follow Up By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 17:08

Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 17:08
As mentioned above I use the B.E.S.T filter when filling the Ultimate water tanks; on the caravan I use the B.E.S.T filter on the water inlet and have a carbon filter on the drinking water circuit to improve the taste.

I do a reverse flush of the B.E.S.T filter for each different caravan park we stay in; it is amazing how much mud comes out of town water supplies.

Another secret for making the water to taste better is to add it to an equal volume of single malt scotch; it works every time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 793322

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 09:21

Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 09:21
Nice one Rob, although personally I don't do spirits....only beer and wine, although not at the same time!!!
FollowupID: 793356

Reply By: Daisy G - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 13:44

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 13:44
The SteriPen water purification use a kind of water UV light function to eliminate viruse which will not be eliminate by simple water filter. Which grade of water filter or purification you need, it depends on the water contaminated level. If you are along a heaviliy traveled trail, it is wiser to use high grade water purification.
AnswerID: 514675

Sponsored Links