'Free Camping' Stuart Hwy?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 12:15
ThreadID: 103057 Views:2081 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Any news / comments on free camping beside the road along the Stuart Hwy in northern Sth Australia? Mate of mine told me a while back the authorities were cracking down, especially during holiday periods which we are heading into (Winter '13). have never been up that way but with kid in tow am certain there will be need for shorter stints than official sites/accommodation provide.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 14:50

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 14:50
G'day,

Get yourself a copy of CAMPS 7. Lists all the free camping places throughout Australia. Well worth the $55 it will cost. Any good bookshop should have it in stock. Enjoy the trip

Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 514133

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 16:13

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 16:13
Get a copy of Camps Australia (often called Camps 5, 6 or 7 depending on the year of publication) available from the ExplorOz shop, or have a look in Places in the blue bar at the top of the page - Camps and Caravan parks.

In reality there are plenty of places where you can get away from the main road so that you are out of sight, but there are also places through the Woomera Protected area where signs say no going off the road. Don't go expecting to find free camps or you could be disappointed, but after a bit of experience you will be able to find good bush camps without too much trouble.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 514137

Follow Up By: lj_eco - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 16:56

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 16:56
Hi and thanks. Not looking for designated camp sites. Sorry for confusion. Free as in 'not confined'! I usually make use of open space away from road where possible, just concerned after comments from my mate police were moving people on along that stretch. Cheers
FollowupID: 793037

Reply By: Alaska - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 12:19

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 12:19
I was just up there and noticed that on the SA side there were very few campers/vans in plain sight so you could be right. The NT side was completely different.
AnswerID: 514512

Sponsored Links