GIC Camper Trailers

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 15:41
ThreadID: 103062 Views:2547 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I was just wondering if anyone had a GIC Camper trailer I am just after some feedback on them. Is there any other recommendations for a good cheapish camper? We live in Nhulunbuy NT so hard for us to actually get to look at any.
Thanks
Shaeley
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Ted (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 16:54

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 16:54
Shaeley
This question has been asked a number of times, try a search on GIC camper. Havent got one so cant help otherwise. I tow a KK.

Cheers
AnswerID: 514143

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 18:23

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 18:23
I wouldn't bother. My mate `bought' one at the Perth show a couple of years ago. I was with him. He actually negotiated with the guy that's on all the 4WD Action DVD's. They agreed a price and my mate paid his deposit and a delivery date was agreed as well. When it got nearer the date for delivery my mate got in touch about payment and to confirm when it was going to arrive. He then started to get the run around. Memory is a bit faded now as it was 2 years ago, so can't be more specific on numerous excuses he was given, but basically the after sales (if there was ever a sale in their minds!!) was rubbish. He eventually got his deposit back and bought another brand from a local supplier.
AnswerID: 514147

Reply By: Batt's - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 20:04

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 20:04
That's unusual for a company that gets flogged by 4WD action to fail with one of their unbelievable promises "NOT"
AnswerID: 514154

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 22:08

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 22:08
Hi Shaeley

I think you are better off buying a better quality used camper than a cheap new one. You will probably get a few extras on it that you'd otherwise have to pay for too.

Search through the archives here and on other sites for opinions
AnswerID: 514164

Reply By: Scotts Paj - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 12:18

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 12:18
Hi Shaeley,
We have had an off road GIC camper for a couple of years now and have nothing but good things to say! We have just returned from a 3 week trip to central Australia and it didn't miss a beat. We've been in it a couple of times in thunderstorms and never had a problem with leaks (we really seasoned the canvas well, alot of people told us to do this)! We have only been off road a few times in it (mostly corrugated stuff) and we've never had a problem. We used to have a caravan and find we like the camper better mainly because of the extra room (with 2 little kids)!
We paid around $6000 for ours and have added extra bits (power points, 12volt etc) as we could afford them over time! I really couldn't justify paying $20000 for something that does what we want it to do for less than half and for the amount that we use it.
As far as service goes, they couldn't have been any more help. We were informed all the way of the progress of the build and when I went to pick it up they went through everything with me to ensure I was happy. We have no affilliation with GIC and I know that there has been some bad reports on various forums but our experience has been great.
All I'd say is go for it as we took 2 years to look for ours and wish we'd saved ourselves the stress!
Hope this helps.

Cheers, Scott
AnswerID: 514199

Follow Up By: Luke F1 - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 15:22

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 15:22
We own a cheap camper not GIC and it has been great. It beats camping on the ground in a tent anyday. We have not been on really rough roads but plenty of dirt roads and no problems. We use it for weekends and a few weeks at a time and cannot justify the money for the expensive campers. At the end of the day we are only camping and it should be an adventure.
FollowupID: 793122

Follow Up By: KevinE - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 16:41

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 16:41
We're the same as Luke; we own an inexpensive camper of another brand & are happy with it. We've shaken the daylights out of it on various dirt roads/tracks over great distances & extended periods. We've never had any problems! :=)

I just bought a brand new 4WD for less than the cost of some of the camper trailers on the market lol!
FollowupID: 793128

Follow Up By: Luke F1 - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 16:56

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 16:56
We heard lots of negative comments about cheaper campers on forums. But if we took their advice, we would still be saving for a camper. My idea of camping is an inexpesive family holiday. I think it is more important to invest my money in a reliable and safe tow vehcle for my family. At the end of the day you can un hook the camper if it breaks or throw a tarp over it if it leaks.
FollowupID: 793130

Follow Up By: Scotts Paj - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 17:31

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 17:31
Totally agree with Luke and Kevin. I think in years gone by the cheaper campers did have some major trouble (judging by earlier internet forums) but I think they've got their acts together in the last couple of years. There still seems to be some scare tactics from the dearer manufacturers and I think that's unfortunate because it scares some people off. At the end of the day, it's about being able to give your family a cheap holiday, not how much you paid for your camper!
Have to re-iterate, I can only go from our own experience and it's been good so far!
FollowupID: 793133

Follow Up By: Shaeley - Thursday, Jul 04, 2013 at 14:57

Thursday, Jul 04, 2013 at 14:57
Thanks for that guys :)
FollowupID: 793209

Sponsored Links