Kidson track

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 09:38
ThreadID: 103073 Views:1730 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Whats the latest on the kidson ,I seem to be getting different opinions on weather its closed /open/ permits /,mining ect
would appreciate any feedback ,thanks Gary
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 11:16

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 11:16
We travelled it last July and was not worth the effort. The oil drillers are in there in a big way and the track is no longer in most places, but there is still some great country around.
Gwenneth Lakes was ruined as is the track into them and it looks as if they're going to use it as a dump or campsite.
I forget exactly where it was but we had a Martu elder and his offsider stop for a chat and all they asked was if we'd got permission to cross the lands which we had and they were very pleasant to talk to.
There are mining company signs up saying no access but a call to their office cleared that.
We drove up from the GCR and enjoyed most of the trip but a lot at the top end has been well and truly stuffed.
Hope this helps.
AlanH.
AnswerID: 514196

Follow Up By: garri - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 14:04

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 14:04
Thanks Alan
looks like it could be even worse this year with the mining activity
FollowupID: 793119

Follow Up By: garri - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 14:06

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 14:06
by the way where did you get a permit from
FollowupID: 793120

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 18:14

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 18:14
Garri. It was just a matter of ringing the Northern Lands Council I think and speaking to them about driving it. I believe the ladies name may have been Margaret.
The elder we spoke to was quite happy and said they welcomed people on to their lands but just asked that they get permission and respect it.
Doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 793136

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 20:03

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 20:03
G'day Gary

we drove it last August.

We came from the south. It was fairly pleasant drive to Razorblade Bore then it started to roughen up. Not far from there it turned into a big dirt highway and we actually saved a days drive compared to the year before.

The grader driver was no artist and I could picture it turning to a creek after rain, with no run offs or gutters.

It was the oil exploration teams that pushed the road through in the first place (WAPET Road is one name it goes by), so I supposed they were going to come back some time.

The signs are a bit off putting at first but they are advisory signs saying there is vehicular activity and to observe speed limits. Up the north end we put in calls on the UHF at marker signs as we went through. We didn't actually pass any vehicles but we saw a couple of machines moving just after we set up camp and first thing in the morning.

It's not actually the Northern Lands Council you contact (they're NT). The WA mob are Dept of Aboriginal Affairs. Use that link to get to their page. We had to get permits to travel the Gary Junction Road before we got to the Kidson Track and that took a while and a few phone calls checking up.

I can't help with current conditions but I hope that helps a bit.

Steve
FollowupID: 793143

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Thursday, Jul 04, 2013 at 10:55

Thursday, Jul 04, 2013 at 10:55
Hi Garri.
Couple of phone numbers for you for permission to travel Kidson/Wapet Tracks:

Western Deserts Aboriginal Lands Council (08) 9485 9797 People here are very helpful

Goldwyer Joint Venture (08) 9481 7477 Highly unlikely anyone will know what you're on about at this number (they didn't when we phoned) but eventually you'll get to talk to someone who actually knows what the company is doing :-)
Enjoy.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 793181

Follow Up By: garri - Thursday, Jul 04, 2013 at 11:15

Thursday, Jul 04, 2013 at 11:15
thanks guys
ill make a few phone calls
garri
FollowupID: 793183

Sponsored Links