To winch or not to winch .....

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 21:26
ThreadID: 10308 Views:2537 Replies:10 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
OK you blokes with a leccie winch .... convince me.

I'm in somewhat of a turmoil. To winch or not to winch ... that is the question.

Been there .. done that, without one for years. Tirfor on board, but vividly recall cranking the mongrel bastard for about 8 hours in Robinson George NP, up Cararvon George way about 13 years ago. Nearly bloody killed me then, and I was a tad younger. Not exactly an old fart yet .. but heading that way. (Ger'day Willem, how's it going cobber?)

Anyway, my lady and I are off to the Cape May/June and I've been researching this as well as I can ... as you would expect.

Seems that where we hope to go may entail a spot of bother for the likes of Nisso's and Tojo's and may even impede the forward motion of the Fender .... ;-).

OK ... it's mucho dollaros bolted to the front bar, but is it really worth the expense?
Sure ... they look flash and serious like, but then again I've never really put much into pose value.

So you blokes with one on board .... are they really, really worth the investment?

I know, I know .... only need to use it once and it's the duck's nuts (sorry Diamond), but all BS aside.

Do they really qualify as a good investment?

Is it correct they're only good for about 10-15 mins off the aux battery?

And so on and so on.....................

Thanks blokes.Fidei defensor

Rosco
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Diamond(due to duck season) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 21:52

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 21:52
gday ross.
i picked up my nearly new 9500lb winch for $500.
i was going to sell it and make a quick buck.
after speaking to a customer about selling it he told me a story of a mate of his who got well and truley stuck down the bottom of a hill.
$2000 odd to get recovered .
didnt sell mine fitted it to my 4by.
ps aparently the guy could have got himself out if he had a winch.
you just never know.
cheersdue to duck season coming
ive decided to hide out
love jemima puddle duck
back after the season
AnswerID: 45614

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 21:53

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 21:53
" but vividly recall cranking the mongrel bastard for about 8 hours in Robinson George NP, up Cararvon George way about 13 years ago. Nearly bloody killed me then"

and your asking should you get one!?!? ;)

Personal opinion on the subject, many people coming back from there never need one, but all depends how keen you are, if you stick to the main 'easy' tracks, or wanna get off the beaten track.

I would have one..
AnswerID: 45615

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 12:38

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 12:38
Right on the money T-Man. I have both leccie and sweatie and the leccie is such a saver.If you hold your heart and focus,
you will end up holding your dream
FollowupID: 307807

Reply By: John - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 21:58

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 21:58
Mine has saved me a couple of times now, same story as Diamond if I did not have it I would have had to get someone to get me out. Much $.

If you do a lot of off road work by yourself it might just be your saving grace.

It's got to be regarded as a form of additional insurance I guess.

I do not regret the money invested and would now not be without one.

Regards
John
AnswerID: 45617

Reply By: Member - Ross - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:14

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:14
Johnno and Truck

Pretty well covered it ...

A. We tend to go off on our pat

B. Certainly prefer the hardest route ... within reason

and

C. Diamond ... if you see another job, let me know.

Cheers blokesFidei defensor

Rosco
AnswerID: 45625

Follow Up By: Leroy - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:09

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:09
Ross,

I wouldn't just buy one for your trip to the Cape I feel it's not really a necessity plus you have a more capable vehicle with more ground clearance than the trusty Rodeo. Despite beeing an Ol'fart apprentice I'd still keep carrying the Tirfor. You could always keep an eye o the Trading post for a good s'hand one.

Leroy
FollowupID: 307723

Follow Up By: Member - Edward J - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 12:21

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 12:21
Ross,

Bit off the subject but what the heck....
Seriously looking at buying a Defender couldn't figure out where you'd put an aux battery. Where have you got yours mounted?
FollowupID: 307737

Follow Up By: Member - Ross - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 13:49

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 13:49
Edward J

Interesting point, on a previous Landie I managed to rotate the main battery through 90 deg and fit an aux in the same box under the seat, which worked out well. Had to get a european type though with recessed poles due to height restriction.

With this one the std. battery is one hugh mother so that's not an option unless I replace it with 2 smaller jobs. A possibility, but that would add significantly to the overall cost and I'd have a spare battery with no use for it as I've recently bought a big one for the CT.

Only other option is either the back .. long cables :-( , but not so bad if I use suitable size.... I guess it can be procurred?? Or in the rear footwell behind the passenger. Not really a problem as there's generally only the 2 of us and I intend removing the rear seat and extending the rear platform forward for the trip. That's probably the best option but would become a pain for the rare times we need to shift more than 2 bods. May have to slum it then and travel in herself's Pathfinder ........ ;-DFidei defensor

Rosco
FollowupID: 307748

Follow Up By: Member - Edward J - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 14:57

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 14:57
Thanks Ross.... thought it was going to be a bit of a job. Rear floor probably the go for me as, like you, it is only the two of us (don't believe in hitchhikers these days).
FollowupID: 307753

Follow Up By: Perry - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 16:25

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 16:25
To Edward J.
I have a trusty Stage I V8, built new box for under passenger seat which takes two large truck batteries. Been like this for 16 yrs, no trouble so far. Br in law has same sort of thing for his Defender.
FollowupID: 307762

Follow Up By: Member - jtb - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 14:57

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 14:57
hi edward i have dual batteries under pass seat (1 lr battery,1 exide extreme ,large ) is a tight fit ,but u can never have enough space.rather be fishing
FollowupID: 307854

Follow Up By: Member - Edward J - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 15:49

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 15:49
Thanks Perry & jtb.... Next time I look at the vehicle I'll check out the battery box. Of course I didn't think to look in the most obvious place, did I !!!
FollowupID: 307856

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:28

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:28
From an experienced 'Old Fart' to an apprentice 'Old Fart'...G'day Ross.......

You might as well have all the right gear. When I was living in the tropics my winches worked over time. I have used my 18month old Brawn twice but not in recovery. Once to winch a car off a trailer and on the other occassion to pull my front spring back to normal after it had inverted itself on a rock. Winches have many uses. Electric ones are easier to use. I have never had a battery die on me except when the winch cable short circuited in a creek. Have done some serious winching out of serious bogs. Now that I am an 'OF' I tend to steer away from trouble but one never knows when you need the thing. It is like a HF Radio. Most of the time you don't use it but it is a damn handy piece of equipment when things gp pear shaped!

Tirfors?......definitely for youngsters with big muscles and no savvy :-)))

Cheers,

Willem

PS Buy a new one for around $1300 to $1500 or scratch around for an oldie.
1958 Patrol Pretty flash eh?
AnswerID: 45630

Follow Up By: Member - Ross - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:35

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:35
Told ya the other day you'd keep....every dog has his day.

................. ;-))))))))))))))))))))))Fidei defensor

Rosco
FollowupID: 307700

Reply By: landie - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 08:35

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 08:35
Hi Ross

I think it is a bit like insurance, you never need it till you need it!

It was once put to me that by having a winch you are more incline to visit areas that you may have been reluctant to go to because you didn't have a one. I have found this to be correct, and rarely have had to use it in any case.

We'll be up there is July / August.

Regards
Landie (2001 extreme)
AnswerID: 45650

Reply By: Member - jtb - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 09:11

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 09:11
HI ROSS ,INSURANCE IS HOW I SEE IT, $$$$ FOR VEHICLE = $ FOR WINCH , I HAVE NOT HAD CHANCH 2 USE IT YET BUT I CANNOT WAIT CHEERS JTBrather be fishing
AnswerID: 45654

Reply By: Roachie - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:51

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:51
Rosco,
I was fortunate enough to get my winch free when I bought my GQ 4.2D 2nd hand (ex-Govt) back in 1995. It's a Warn 9000lb jobbie and when I sold the truck in 2000 and bought a new GU 4.2TD, I kept the winch and put it on the new ARB bar.
Like the others have said, it's like an insurance policy.......I've had to make a few "claims" over the last few years and was bloody glad to have it there. You'll need a decent dual battery system and I wouldn't recommend a Deep Cycle battery due to the "cranking" nature of the winches current draw. In any case I'm just about convinced Deep Cycle batteries are not really suited to the type of use most 4 wheel drivers/campers need anyway; but that's a story for another POST.
I did a trip to Cape York in 2002 towing my Ultimate Camper. On the way back we went along the Old Telegraph Track. Was following (but not accompanying) to vehicles without trailers. One was a GQ, the other a mid wheel base Tojo (maybe Bundera?). The Tojo was having all sorts of hassles getting out of some of the creek crossings. The first time I watched him struggle, I thought "how the bloody hell am I going to get up there with a trailer if he's having so much hassle without one?" Anyway, I gave it a go, knowing that I had the winch there if I got stuck (plenty of trees around). I didn't need to worry at all.......the combination of BFG Muddies plus Nissan's great LSD and an ARB Air Locker up front, saw me actually "idle" up those slippery river banks without so much as an iota of wheel slip. So, my conclusion from all that was that there are several things which affect your vehicle's off-road abilities:

1. choice of tyres (the toyota had fairly well worn all-terrains)
2.Wheel base (whilst a short or medium wheel base can have advantages with ramp over angles etc, they do compromise the vehicle's ability to manouvre over pot holes etc)
3. Traction Aids (I swear by my Locker and will get one for the back diff if the LSD ever lets me down; unlikely though that may be).

Notice I'm not slagging off at the Toyota......I'm not into that sort of thing. If it had been a shorty GQ or MQ I'm sure it would have had the same dramas as the Bundera.

In summary, the winch is not essential, but bloody worthwhile to have.

Cheers,

Roachie
AnswerID: 45672

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 14:31

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 14:31
Check www.outerlimits4x4.com forsale section, or trading post, theres always oodles in there, even highmounts going for $1000...($2500 new)
AnswerID: 45695

Reply By: Member - Peter- Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 17:47

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 17:47
Forget about 10-15 mins winching, most times you would be lucky to get 5 actual minutes of winching under load.
But having had one on the front for 20 years the times you need it (rarely) it is worth its weight in gold.
If you are towing an off road camper I wouldn't be without one as the day will come when you will get stuck and there will be no one around, murphy's law.
AnswerID: 45715

Sponsored Links