Gunbarrel on a motorbike!

I'm doing at least PART of the G.B highway in late August with my dad on our motorbikes.. Does anyone know of latest road conditions, obstructions etc? Or even usual rainfall in late August/early September?

Also, how long does it generally take to complete? So I can plan food and water :D
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 21:03

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 21:03
Hi Brendan,

If you provide detail such as where you are starting and where you intend to finish the GBH you will get more informed answers.

The GBH is quite long and permits are not needed for the main section in WA but permits are needed for the abandoned section and almost impossible to get for the section from Giles eastward.

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 514229

Reply By: BrendanKLR650 - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 22:29

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2013 at 22:29
Hi Phil,
I'm be starting east and heading west. The part near Giles is almost impossible in what way, not trafficable or difficult to get permits? I also read that you must alert the local aboriginal land council if you wish to travel the abandoned section, is this correct?

cheers,
Brendan
AnswerID: 514238

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Jul 04, 2013 at 02:59

Thursday, Jul 04, 2013 at 02:59
Hi Brendan,

For travel east of Giles it has been almost impossible to get permits.
For the GBH to Wiluna and for the Abandoned Section you need separate permits - go here
permit

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 793165

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jul 04, 2013 at 09:03

Thursday, Jul 04, 2013 at 09:03
Brendan,

Some years back a bloke posted with a great story and photos, of a trip he did with some mates across the GCR and/or the Gunbarrel.

Can't remember his name, or how long ago it was, but it might be worthwhile spending some search time to have a look.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 514251

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 22:03

Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 22:03
Brendan,

unless the road maintenance mob has been through in the last 15 years I believe the GBH will remain the worst road in the developed world. My brother and I went through in a Pajero in 1998. The car was fine, but the ARB roof rack broke, and we did a few tyres. At Carnegie Station I wondered what the shiny metallic objects on floor of the Pajero were - amalgam fillings!

Corrugations are bad in cars, I can't imagine they'd be fun on a bike.

The weather will be fine (best time of year to be there), and the least of your problems.

Three day trip in a car.

Bob
AnswerID: 514416

Sponsored Links