Mildura to Broken hill via Menindee

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:12
ThreadID: 10310 Views:5521 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

The wife and I and a mate and his wife are going to be in Mildura late June. We are looking at heading north to Broken Hill via Menindee Lakes then back towards the coast. Any tips/suggestions on what to look out for, places to visit/stay at etc would help with the trip planning. We would like to spend a few nights around the lakes then head to Broken hill. From there the itinerary is pretty fluid.
I have a Hilux 3l Td and will be towing a camper trailer while the mate will be in a Jackaroo witha camper trailer.

The other thought is instead of turning right at Mildura we turn left and do the Great Ocean Road and the Otways

Any feed back would be of great help.

Gazza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:46

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:46
Gazza
Visited Broken Hill a while back and stayed 1 night out at Penrose Park Silverton. Really enjoyed looking around what is now almost a ghost town. Facilities a bit basic (very cheap) but quiet when we were there. Lots to see ie, old buildings, arts and crafts and dont miss the pub with all its "Mad Max" history. Probably too far out of Broken Hill (35k?) far a base camp but well worth an overnight.

Hope you get to enjoy it.
Cheers Bob

AnswerID: 45635

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:59

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:59
"The other thought is instead of turning right at Mildura we turn left and do the Great Ocean Road and the Otways "

Gazza.....that sentence does not make sense

I suggest you contact Mildura and Broken Hill Tourist Information Centres and they will post out a whole swag of material to you which will assist in your trip planning.

Cheers,

Willem
AnswerID: 45636

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 12:31

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 12:31
Gazza, Broken Hill is a great place to get lost for a long time looking at all the things it has to offer, check out the information centre there, its a wealth of information hahaha funny thing that, of course if you do choose to turn left the GOR and the Otways are wonderful this time of year too, I knew what ya meant.If you hold your heart and focus,
you will end up holding your dream
FollowupID: 307805

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 00:16

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 00:16
Have a look at Lake Mungo which is south east of Menindee. Good camping spots & interesting scenery.Have Wheels Will Travel
AnswerID: 45643

Reply By: bash - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 09:12

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 09:12
I did a similar trip last easter but went via broken hill first then across to the lakes and travelled down the darling to the murray. Some great spots and broken hill worth chekcing out. try a mine tour shows how tough they did it in the old days. Lakes were dry then but should have water in them by june with the high rainfalls in Queensland filtering down. An extra thing to watch out for are the tree corner jacks or locals call them minges. A long hard thorn like seed that is all over the ground up in those parts. Not a lot of fun in bare feet!

cheers

Bash
AnswerID: 45655

Reply By: Member - JohnR - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 09:37

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 09:37
Gee Gary,

There is a lot to do in between too, don't forget the deserts south of Mildura and Hattah Lakes that are well worth the visits and the Grampians south of Horsham are worthy of another few days too. Mt Napier and Mt Eccles State parks too before the Great Ocean Road. Mt Eccles has a great little camping ground too all sites compartmented.

Might take you a few weeks Gary. Almost sound like an advocate for Victoria eh
Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
AnswerID: 45656

Reply By: duncs - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 11:30

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 11:30
Gazza,

Both the trips you suggest would be very enjooyable. I'd recoommend the Broken Hill trip and save the other for a later date.

Menindee has been almost totally dry for about two years and Lake Menindee itself is now covered with scrub about 1.5m high. It is a special kind of spectacular that hopefully won't last. There is a flow coming down the Darling that will hopefully fill one of the top lakes but not all of them. Most out here are praying that there will be more and more and more.....you get the idea. Anyway my point is it's worth seeing while it lasts. The ocean will be crashing into the cliffs along the Great Ocean Road for some time to come I hope!

Lake Mungo, Pooncarrie and Kinchega are all well worth a look. Hattah, the national parks south of Mildura and the Grampians are equally good and I recommend you travel that trip some time too. But at the moment norht of Mildura is the go.

The others are all giving good advice especially Willem who said to call the Broken Hill Tourist Info Centre 08 8087 6077.

When in Broken Hill I'd recommend Lakeview Caravan Park especially if you want grass for the campers. It's not 5 star but it is clean and friendly.

Have a great trip
Duncs
AnswerID: 45677

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 12:32

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 12:32
Agree totally Lake View at Broken Hill is great value especiually if you are a Big4 memberIf you hold your heart and focus,
you will end up holding your dream
FollowupID: 307806

Reply By: uther - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 14:20

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 14:20
Gaz...wouldn,t miss the museum at silverton...and would crawl across broken glass for the "saltbush" fed lamb roast at the silverton cafe (not the pub) , cafe might not look much but I had the second best feed of lamb I have ever had there. Have lived down through the otways and G.O.R. area. Its pretty much a "go anytime place"...B/hill area can get a bit warm at times , wish ya well..Uther
AnswerID: 45804

Sponsored Links