Heading off for a few days to

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:39
ThreadID: 10312 Views:1804 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Broken Hill toTibooburra to Wanaaring to Bourke to Tilpa then back home.

Anyone able to comment on the road conditions, there appears to be some moisture to the north but how far south has it travelled.

Cheers

Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 23:22

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 23:22
Use this site

Trip Planning
Australian Regions
State
Road Conditions.............Voila!

Cheers,

Willem
Out on the Gibber
AnswerID: 45637

Reply By: Nomad - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 23:26

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 23:26
Rojac, I can't advise on current conditions, but do recall a trip up the Darling River Track many years ago. Was driving a '71 Ford Galaxie, no air-con so plenty of red dust and hot as blazes. Looked at the map and saw this dot named Tilpa. Thought we might get a Coke or the like. Well when we crossed the bridge, of course we found this old ripple iron pub come general store. Being a couple that enjoyed the odd beer we stopped in. Many hours later, and very inebriated, we asked if there was somewhere to camp. We were pointed down this bumpy track and given directions that took us to the banks of the Darling. Woke up in the morning with huge hangovers and sort of wondering where we were. turned on the car radio to see if the world had blown up yet. Then heard all these birds singing and sqwarking and wished the heck that they would shut up. Only then realised we were listening to Ian MacNamara on Australia All Over. First time we had ever heard of him. Listened to himmany times since.

Moral of the story is, don't go past the Tilpa Pub. LOL

See ya in the bush. Treadlightly!

Nomad
AnswerID: 45638

Reply By: duncs - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 11:14

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 11:14
Rojac,

You are right there is a bit of water around and it is moving south towards Wilcannia,

The road conditions are changing all the time depending on which road you want to use.

Don't know where you are coming from but before you set off give the Tourist Centre in Broken Hill a call and they can let you know what is going on road wise. the number is 08 8087 6077

I'd still recommend conming to the Hill. Plenty to see and do even if you can't get to Wanaaring. I thinkl you'd get to Tibooburra OK and wet of there. East of there I don't knowThere is a flow coming doown the Darling for the first time in ages and that could be interesting to watch if you can be in the right place at the right time. I'm planning to have a look at it if it fits in with work etc.

Have a great trip
Duncs
AnswerID: 45674

Follow Up By: duncs - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 11:15

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 11:15
I need typing lessons. That was supposed to be west of Tibooburra
FollowupID: 307729

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 19:15

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 19:15
Call NPWS at Tibooburra they will know all road conditions between Tibooburra, Wanaaring, Bourke, Innaminka and Broken Hill etc - travellers thru Tibooburra always call into the NPWS and inform them of current conditions and also the RTA constantly talk to NPWS so the NPWS can pass on info so that travellers don't chew up the roads if the roads are wet etc.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 45729

Sponsored Links