Motorhome tour of Tasmania

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 11:44
ThreadID: 103120 Views:1688 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
we are reviewing options for a planned tour of Tasmania early next year and wanted to find out a bit more about the motorhome option. As it will be about 7m long, my main concern is finding places to park in the tourist locations and city areas. My initial thoughts are to plan ahead and locate the bus parking areas in Hobart and Launceston prior to arriving then hoofing it to the paces we want to see. I'm sure many of you would have had this experience already. How did you find it? Our other option is to just hire a large sedan / 4wd and stay in cabins and motels.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brendan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 17:42

Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 17:42
Seven metres is hardly a large vehicle Brendan. You should have not problems.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 514395

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 17:46

Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 17:46
Sorry - You should have no problems.

Unlike some of the mainland eastern states, you are unlikely to find angle parking which is a problem for a long vehicle.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 793387

Follow Up By: bajabus - Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 18:58

Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 18:58
Thanks. Agreed - not that large, but large enough to not fit in a standard carpark space around town without the @rse hanging out. :)
Thanks for the info. Appreciated.
FollowupID: 793392

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 18:42

Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 18:42
Hi Brendan, haven't motor homed in Tassie but we did in NZ. Similar winding roads and steep hills at times to Tassie. Driving it was like driving a car just remember not to cut corners. In cities and major towns just be very vigilant as there are big blind spots. When parking we used shopping centres a lot and parked at the back as there was usually more room. If street parking we tried to get it where there were a couple of empty bays in a row. Did have to parallel park a few times so my wife just spotted for me. The power steering on the 4 berth MH we hired was great.

Hobart can be a bit of a bugger to find parking at times so just park a bit further out of the main CBD. Usually a bit of parking around Constitution Dock. Similar situation with Launceston. Remember tourist coaches get around and park so park where they do.

Enjoy the trip MHing is good fun.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 514397

Follow Up By: bajabus - Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 18:59

Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 18:59
Thanks for the info. Appreciated.
FollowupID: 793393

Sponsored Links