Using Hema Navigator 6

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 15:31
ThreadID: 103131 Views:3465 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have tried to update the IGO street maps via the Naviextras Toolbox 3.15.2. After downloading the toolbox and when I attempt to open it I get the message "the application has failed to open because the side by side configuration is incorrect" My journey from here
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/this-application-failed-to-start-because-side-by/7673bf12-87c2-48ca-b5ae-b8aa85e295dc
has not resolved the issue. I used option B which did a lengthy check of my files. Option A kept insisting on a password even though I was able to determine that I had no admin password

I have tried to download some wpts from the 4wdriver website but these are gpx files.

Yes I have the Hema HN6 manual. The importing or updating of maps or importing track files doesn't appear to be covered in the instructions. Do I need to buy the explore oz software to load onto my computer to allow me to download the wpt files. I was hoping someone could give me some information or guides. I am not sure whether I am missing the information in the manual. Were you able to update the maps and download track files with the info in the manual or how did you do it or is there a better option than the Hema Navigator for those with limited computer skills

Any help in being able to download wpts from another source or update the mapping would be appreciated or even somewhere I can send it to have the maps updated.

Thanks Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 16:05

Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 16:05
Peter,

It has nothing to do with OziExplorer software. Files from this application are accessed by the Windows Mobile app.
There is something wrong with your configuration.
When you connect the Navigator to your PC and start the Naviextras Toolbox app, you should see the main window which shows (amongst other things) whether your device is connected. (Top left)
You also need to log in to access the Naviextras Server. After this, your username is displayed at the top of the window next to the connection status.

Then you can back up your device and check for and download any updates.

Start from scratch, reinstalling the Naviextras Toolbox app if necessary, then connect your device, then log in to the Naviextras site, before attempting to update your device.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 514439

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 16:15

Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 16:15
Downloading waypoints is for use in OziExplorer and this is done via the Windows Mobile application, not Naviextras.

Windows Mobile, or autoplay (a Windows 7 function) is for transferring files to and from OziExplorer.

Naviextras is for connection to the Naviextras website to backup your device and update software for the iGo (street navigation) application.

Connection to a PC is covered on page 19 of the HN6 manual.

Bill

FollowupID: 793448

Follow Up By: Member - kwk56pt - Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 17:32

Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 17:32
http://blog.chartandmapshop.com.au/2012/08/02/how-to-update-or-install-new-igo-maps-on-your-hema-hn5i-or-hn6-in-87-easy-steps/

I am using the above website for instructions to update the software.
The windows mobile app appears when I connect my device.
When I start the naviextras toolbox app it indeed says my configuration is incorrect specifically the side by side..
Thanks I will read page 19 of the manual.
I will uninstall and reinstall the naviestras app this time with the Hema connected.
Do you have any links on how to use mobile windows app to transfer files, there appear to be different types.
O appreciate your help
FollowupID: 793459

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 18:23

Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 18:23
Peter,

I don't do anything specific when connecting the Navigator to me PC.
I am running Windows 7 64-bit and when I connect the Navigator, the autoplay window appears with various options.

I select "check files using windows Explorer" because that is the simplest method of transferring files.

If you want to upload waypoint (wpt) or track (plt) or Route (rte) files to the Navigator you simply copy them to the Hema SD - oziexplorer data directory them call them up via the Menu options in Ozi.
A waypoint is simply a GPS co-ordiate of a location that is displayed on a map.

Likewise, if you record a track of your journey, adding waypoints for points of interest along the way, you can transfer them from the SD card oziexplorer data directory to a similar one on your PC, if you have the PC version of OziExploer, or any other directory of your choosing if you are using or transferring somewhere else.
For instance, if you download trk and wpt data from say ExplorOz, (or any other source) you store it in a directory on the PC that you can remember. Then when you connect the Navigator, you use the autoplay feature of Windows, or the Windows Explorer app to copy this data from your PC directory, to the OziExplorer Data directory on the Navigator's SD card, where all data is stored, rather than in internal memory.
Then you call this data up from the menu options within Ozixplorer which then loads and displays them onto the map you have currently active.

Just as a matter of interest, the Windows Mobile app on my PC shows my device as not being connected, even though I had previously used it to update the iGo app, just before.
Having started Windows Mobile I still get the autoplay window appearing and can access the SD card directories OK.
Alternatively, perhaps if you have closed the autoplay app, or it doesn't appear, you can start Windows Explorer and should see the Hema HN6 as an extra drive letter on the list of device directories. The Hema SD - oziexplorer data directory is the one you want for any data files.

I doubt you need to update the map files for OziExplorer. The Hema ones that come with the Navigator are the current ones.
You can add additional files, such as the Navmap 2008 series of digital maps from Geoscience Australia, but generally, the Hema series are quite good. These are added to the OziExplorer Maps directory, then again called up from a menu option within OziExplorer.

As far as updating maps for the iGo Street Navigation application, the only way of achieving this is via the Naviextras application that comes with the Navigator. This connects you to a 3rd party web site and after validating your device with them, you can back up existing data and update map data for Australia of other Countries if you choose.

Just keep in mind the map files for both OziExplorer (4WD app) and iGo (Street Navigation app) are totally separate and do not use reference files or data from each other.

Bill

AnswerID: 514450

Follow Up By: Member - kwk56pt - Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 19:01

Sunday, Jul 07, 2013 at 19:01
Thanks for your help, you have put in a considerable effort. I have 32 bit windows 7. When I plug in my HN6 I get Windows mobile.
The options are.....
add remove programmes
get updates and downloads
Do more with your windows mobile device.

Get updates looks promising but its about apps for mobile phones.

The Naviextras tookbox to update the igo maps wont open till I fix the incorrect side by side configuration but this is computer speak for god know what

I cant find any pathway like check files using windows explorer. Its a frustrating and time consuming exercise.

Once again thanks.............Peter
FollowupID: 793471

Reply By: Hema Maps - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 09:49

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 09:49
G'day Guys.

Firstly, Bill, Thanks for trying to help out. It is great to see a real community here.

Peter. If you have still had no luck in getting the unit to connect to your computer I would recommend that you contact the Hema Tech Support Team through the Hema Maps website.

www.hemamaps.com

Safe Journey...
AnswerID: 514861

Follow Up By: Member - kwk56pt - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:30

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:30
Hema Tech support tells me its a windows problem beyond their control. Yes that's correct its my problem but it seems others can get it downloading so that is good news.
Thanks for your interest..............Peter
FollowupID: 794023

Sponsored Links