New TV and fuse problem

Submitted: Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 08:12
ThreadID: 103141 Views:2851 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Have just replaced our old tv with a TEAC digital 12 volt.

Our old one simply plugged into the "cigarette type" plug and away we went.

This one keeps blowing the fuse.

Any ideas from the experts? Do we need some sort of adapter/inverter/thingie?

We have not been connected to power when trying this, so there shouldn't be the issue of the battery charging and giving extra voltage .... sorry I have very limited knowledge of all these electrical issues.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 08:37

Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 08:37
I'm an electroklutz too, but...... maybe the new TV uses more power than the old one...check on the back of the tv or the handbook for the Amp rating. TEAC may also specify the fuse to be used.
AnswerID: 514472

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 08:41

Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 08:41
Bunny,

Does the new one also plug in using a cigarette lighter plug? If not, how is it connected, and is it possible that the two wires have been reversed? It is important that the positive wire be connected to positive, and the negative wire be connected to negative.

What fuse keeps blowing and what is its current rating - 1 amp, 5 amp, 10 amp...? The one in the TV, or one in the van? (Don't be tempted to just put in a bigger fuse and hope! That could be expensive.)

Suggest check the installation instructions carefully , and especially check that the power input connection hasn't been reversed.

HTH
John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 514473

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 10:52

Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 10:52
The standard connection for ciggy lighter and Merritt plugs is centre is positive. Make sure both plug and socket are wired that way.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 793505

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 10:53

Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 10:53
Should also have said that if you're using any adapters that the polarity is maintained and not inadvertently reversed.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 793506

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 11:37

Monday, Jul 08, 2013 at 11:37
Bunny
What Frank P said is quite possible and can happen easily.

DO NOT try big fuses to see if that fixes it. only use the rated fuse size.

If you DID use BIG fuses they might blow/burn out the safety protection diode in the TV which is saving the TV at the moment. IF you damage it then GOOD BYE new TV.

Best to find the issue first ie check polarity, damaged shorted cable etc.

Ross M
FollowupID: 793509

Follow Up By: Bunny - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 06:50

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 06:50
Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.....will keep you posted with how we solve this issue.
FollowupID: 793578

Follow Up By: Bunny - Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 16:48

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 16:48
Apparently the TV and the plug are different amps.....what we needed was an adapter....all good.

Once again, thanks for your ideas and assistance.
FollowupID: 793723

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 22:54

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 22:54
Are you using a power lead that was supplied with the TV or are you using the one you used with the old set? There is no standard for the round coaxial extra low voltage power connectors. Sometimes the centre pin in the socket is -ve and not +ve as you find inmost installations (that is why the leads on some universal power supplies allow you to connect the tips in either polarity.)

The socket on the TV should have its polarity shown next to it in diagrammatic form. Check this on both sets.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 793737

Sponsored Links