Roof rack for twin cab hilux

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 17:46
ThreadID: 103163 Views:3308 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all. I recently acquired a canopy for my 97 twin cab hilux. I want to be able to carry a kayak on the roof so need to get some roof racks. As the canopy mostly sits roughly 100mm higher than the cab roof, and the kayak is longer than the cab and canopy combined, can someone tell me what my options are for the kayak?. 2 roof racks on the cab aren't wide enough and the kayak will most likely end up sitting on the canopy due to canopy height. Would it be the done thing to have one rack on cab, then sit front of kayak on rack and the rear directly on the canopy?. I have an image in my head of a strap for the rear of the kayak. The strap would wrap around the back of the kayak, possible by Velcro, and would also be padded underneath to protect canopy and/ or kayak. 2 straps would then feed down either side of the canopy and attach to the anchor points on the tray. Anyone know of this type of product?.

Sorry if this is hard to follow. I can visualise it but struggle to put it into easy to read text form.

Grant
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jeremy W - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 19:39

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 19:39
Hello Grant,

I have a couple of these : http://www.krsracks.com/krsracks/commercial.php on the roof of my Colorado. I use these ( occasionally) to carry quite heavy pipes. Certainly you will need a rack on the canopy or a load carrying bar, fixed to the back of the ute, as used by tradies to carry long pipes.

Jerry.
AnswerID: 514533

Follow Up By: Member - Richard B (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 14:06

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 14:06
Grant
Rhino make a rack which will take extended legs getting you above the canopy - I had the same problem when I had a similar vehicle and the ' extensions' worked well - still have them if they are of any use as I sold the Hilux - get back to me if interested

RB
arbe

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 793666

Reply By: Hilux fan - Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 17:38

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 17:38
Grunta,

I've had a similar issue carrying a canoe on both a 93 and a 2006 Hilux. I've had a bar made up which is bolted to the top of the tub and arches over the rear of the canopy. Then I don't have to worry about any stresses on the fibreglass canopy as the weight is transferred to the tub. I've then just purchased a single Rhino Rack roof bar with high risers to go on the cabin section.

Colin
AnswerID: 514633

Sponsored Links