4wdLife full offroad trailer

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:04
ThreadID: 103183 Views:2781 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
http://www.4wdlife.com.au/store/4wd-camper-trailer-tent.aspx

Anybody have one of these or a compatible model from another manufacturer? Would like some tips
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 17:41

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 17:41
BayBreeze
Just an observation.

Part of the blurb says it can be put up in 3 Minuets. Depending on how long the Minuets go for, as it is a slow dance for two with triple beat or something. Not sure how that relates to trailer tents though

In the picture the 16" wheels/tyres seem very close to the guards at the front and back of the tyre and too close to have any realistic amount of suspension travel which you would most definitely need if used off road..

Ross M
AnswerID: 514579

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 18:40

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 18:40
That's gotta be the shortest draw bar I've seen on any camper trailer.
AnswerID: 514581

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 18:55

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 18:55
Ohh another camper trailer manufacture who thinks they know it all....

From their web site.....
"We have spared no expense in making this trailer suitable for the punishment Australian terrain can give it.

"Entire trailer made from 2.5ml checker plated steel"
.....Must be heavy if it's made from 2.5mm checker plate steel.

"Hot dip galvanize the entire trailer so it can never rust"
.....Didn't know rust was a problem.

"Huge 32 Inch all terrain wheels with 16 inch land cruiser stud pattern rims"
..... Please 32 inch so yesterday, what about 31,33,34,35 and great if you have anything other than a Toyota Landcruiser.... Now is it 5 or 6 stud?

"Draw bar fully welded onto chassis instead of standard bolt on"
.....Whats this bolt on capper, every trailer I have ever seen has always be welded.

"7 Leaf eye-to-eye military style rebound springs with shock absorbers"
.....Leaf sprung and military style, so old skool and whats this military thing?

"50ml solid square Axil (as this is the lowest point of the trailer you need to make sure its the toughest)."
.....What the and what is an "AXIL".

"Full front steel stone guard"
.....Stone gaurd made out of steel, must be good.

"1*20Litre water tank"
.....Why?

"2*9kg jerry can holder"
.....18 lts of what ever is not going to get you far, have they heard of this new size called 20lts.

"Stainless Steel rear sliding out kitchen"
.....Room for a microwave>

"70Litre stainless steel water tank with electric pump"
Really useful off road, stainless crack and fatigue more than fiberglass or poly tanks.

"Side tap with lockable water filler"
..... Don't lose that key.

Extreme off road they say..... and 3 minute setup...... takes longer for me to set up my swag.

Good to see they have spared no expenses...... must be well over 50 grand and with these top rating specs it make my Ulti look under rated.
AnswerID: 514583

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 13:48

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 13:48
You didn't know that steel rusts?
Obviously never seen a Tru Blu camper!

FollowupID: 793707

Reply By: Member - TheFox3305 - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 20:28

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 20:28
The steel stone deflector will be excellent for deflecting the stones into your rear window.

The suspension will not destroy itself, but will not provide any sort of smooth ride for your contents. No travel evident as it will just bounce over everything.

As long as you are under 5 you won't have sore feet on that ladder - unless you wear your boots to bed.

I can't see how that gas bottle ring is attached.

There is a lot of poles and ropes if you want to put the lot up.

No sign of brakes.
AnswerID: 514589

Reply By: Jeremy W - Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:50

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:50
To all of the above ..... How True you are.

I have been looking ar CT's lately and received NO reply ( from web based suppliers) when I asked if I could view their product. This sounds warning bells. I am willing to drive from Adl to the Gold Coast ( and all points in between!) to check one out.

My advice is to make out a list of all the features required of a good CT then with your list in hand actually view the product and critique it on the spot. This effort will be well rewarded.

Good luck,

Jerry.

AnswerID: 514604

Reply By: BayBreeze - Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 16:26

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 16:26
Thanks guys for tips. There's definitely heaps of manufacturers/suppliers. I'd want to see one in the flesh before considering a buy.
AnswerID: 514623

Reply By: KevinE - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 08:14

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 08:14
G'day BayBreeze,

The trailer is almost certainly Chinese, but it looks like one of the better ones. I have one of the same basic design (different brand though) & as I've written elsewhere on the forum, I've taken it along some very rough tracks/roads over some pretty long distances & haven't had any problems with it whatsoever.

I think the galv is a plus, especially traversing dirt roads. There is definitely a hand brake pictured on the draw-bar (same as mine), so I would think it has electric brakes (just ask the seller to be sure, but mine has them) The suspension they describe works a treat - no issues there either (same set up on mine) Just remember that tyre pressures & driving to the conditions will be a deciding factor.

I think the price is fairly competitive for what it is. There are literally HEAPS of people importing them in one version or another these days & they're for sale everywhere you look.

Those wheels are too big for that trailer. If you want to buy it, I'd suggest making it conditional on him putting 15" wheels on it. I think they'll do it if they want the sale.

The welded draw bar is a good thing too, some are only bolted on! Much is made on internet forums of the fact these trailers are made in China, but I've seen how they arrive in Aust; the axle, toolboxes, draw-bar, coupling, chains, wheels, tent etc are all fitted to the trailer body here. It's very important to buy from someone who has quality control in place. Buyer beware lol!

I'm not saying they're perfect, nothing is! But if you buy it, a few short shake down trips will tell you what you need to mod, if anything.

Good luck with it! :)

Cheers,

Kevin.

AnswerID: 514655

Sponsored Links