Poeppel Cnr

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 20:32
ThreadID: 103192 Views:2716 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi you learnered people, just another question about my trip to Birdsville Races. While we are there and after the race weekend we have been thinking about a trip out to Peopple Cnr for a night or 2. to view the night sky at its best. The question is - how many hours to get there and can you tow ( we are towing an full off road camper trailer) out there ,we do know its not recommended, BUT, we are aware of tyre pressure's for sand driving and in a NS Pajero with 2" lift and carrying max trax, winch, sat. phone, uhf, snatch straps, sand flag, water and food.
Have done out back driving trips before. Can it be done! Not been in the Simpson Desert only the beach!
Awaiting your replies
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jon W (Toow - Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 08:28

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 08:28
Tony,
We were out there just after Easter in our stock standard diesel NT. Took exactly 6 hours from Birdsville. We were thankful not to be towing and saw no other vehicles towing. Some of the sand dunes have sharp dog leg approaches which really sap momentum and there were some quite sharp crests which required careful throttle control. On some dunes, the approaches were very chopped up necessitating chosing another track. Personally, I think it would place a lot of unnecessary strain on your NS. Also, we had to reverse down several approaches through bends to have another go. Very tricky with a trailer.
Jon W
AnswerID: 514599

Reply By: prado 01 - Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 08:51

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 08:51
We were out there last week and the QAA line was easy going and your Paj would make it look even easier. Who knows what September it will be like.
I don't tow but there were a few out there who I spoke to and one guy said he had no problems but another said never again with a trailer.
Cheers
AnswerID: 514601

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:04

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:04
Tony, read Evan McHugh's book "Birdsville". He has some uh..."interesting" stories about rescue parties he joined, all while towing a trailer...digging until his blisters bled, jack-knifing while trying to reverse when bogged etc. And he was in the company of very experienced people who'd done the trek quite a number of times!
Read that and then make up your own mind.
It can be done, but it's rather pricey when it comes unstuck in any way.
That said, I have a friend who did it without towing...could you ditch the camper at the caravan park and head out without it?
Just a thought.
:)
AnswerID: 514602

Reply By: gbc - Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:26

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:26
There's a couple of cracker dunes between big red and ayre creek. I've pulled cars off them without trailers. As others have said you might make it, you might not - depends on the day, the heat, the wind and which goose got stuck with his trailer before your attempt. You will make it with just the car and a tent.
AnswerID: 514603

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 14:11

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 14:11
Tony Hi,
Give it a go, You will not be disappointed. If You can't get past Little or Big Red You have at least had a good day & seen some great country.
Just remember the sand is a bit softer & the dunes a bit higher than the beach.

Regards Mike.
AnswerID: 514610

Reply By: Iza B - Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 17:05

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 17:05
Trailers are not recommended for a reason and will be banned soon for the same reason. I was there a month ago and had to help two vehicles with trailers get turned around after only three dunes past Big Red. The western faces of the dunes are mostly the steepest and pretty cut up by people towing trailers getting bogged and making it hard for everyone else. A tent for one night in the desert is recommended.

Iza
AnswerID: 514630

Follow Up By: prado 01 - Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 18:16

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 18:16
Err, aint the Eastern sides mostly steepest. Not that it makes any diff, six a one.
Cheers
FollowupID: 793727

Follow Up By: Iza B - Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 14:10

Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 14:10
My bad, you are correct. What I was trying to get across is that those travelling west seem to have the most trouble getting trailers up the slope.

Iza
FollowupID: 793839

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 19:10

Thursday, Jul 11, 2013 at 19:10
"Can it be done?" Tony your vehicle would be quite capable of towing a high clearance full off-road spec trailer out to Poeppels as long as it wasn't too heavily loaded.
"How many hours?" Around 6 to 7 hours towing in average conditions.
Some variables to consider particularly when towing are....
* Total weight of trailer.
* How soft, wind blown & cut up the dunes are at the time.
* How much rain has fallen prior.
* Lack of experience towing in the desert.
* Travelling solo or with other cars?
For you the bonus is you can play it by ear & if conditions are exceptionally difficult at the time simply turn around. If progress is slow an option would be to drive out to Eyre Creek, camp there then do a day loop without the trailer to Poeppels.

As a side note winches in the Simpson are not very practical for recovery as by the time you've buried your spare for an anchor point someone you're holding up will drag you out of the way. Likewise Maxtrax are time consuming too & may be an indication you're tackling the dunes wrong.
Have fun.
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 514638

Follow Up By: gbc - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 05:50

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 05:50
"Likewise Maxtrax are time consuming too & may be an indication you're tackling the dunes wrong."

That's the nicest way I've heard anyone say "Let you bloody tyres down" in a long time ;)
FollowupID: 793739

Follow Up By: gbc - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 05:51

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 05:51
your even....
FollowupID: 793740

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 19:05

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 19:05
"That's the nicest way I've heard anyone say "Let you bloody tyres down" in a long time ;)"
Tyre pressures are just one part of tackling the dunes together with correct gear selection, rev range, timing, knowing when to back off & most importantly realizing the moment you're not going to make it, stopping & reversing back down before digging great big holes.
Cheers Craig.....
FollowupID: 793780

Sponsored Links