travel by bike

Submitted: Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1032 Views:1486 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, i would like to travel Route ONE around the entire of Australia? what would be the longest distance between towns. as in, 100 miles between stop A and B - or are there many towns along the road?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike - Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00
Joe, some sections of the Nullabor Plain are void of towns for several hundred Kms. Get hold of a road map of Australia and have a close look. Don't be deterred though, as many people do that ride. Take into consideration the weather also, as in summer that area can reach temperatures in the mid 40s Celsius, for days on end.
Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 3139

Follow Up By: Joe - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00
mike - thanks for the info. i'm planning to start my trip in Oct from Sydney heading to Perth and then up the coast and on around the whole of Australia - on Route ONE - and from the maps i have this looks totally do-able. is route ONE a paved road around the whole of Aust. and i just needed to know what would be my greatest distance i would ever be between water - so i will know how large of a water supply i might need to carry durring the large dry times. thanks again. also - do you know of any guides from bikers who've taken the whole of ROUTE ONE and might provide some kind of updated info on what's on that route??? thanks
FollowupID: 1288

Reply By: Trev - Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 00:00
One thing to bear in mind is the prevailing winds blow anti-clockwise around Australia. This means that if you are travelling from Adelaide to Perth you will have a head wind all of the way. It may be easier to travel anti-clockwise yourself so you can enjoy a tail wind.
AnswerID: 3266

Sponsored Links