Fraser Island seventy five mile beach conditions

I have booked this friday to Sunday for a Fraser Island explore and tour. I plan on traveling along the seventy five mile beach and was wondering if anyone has been there recently and tell me what conditions are like along the beach. any worth while sights and tracks would also be appreciated both along the beach and inland. this will be my first real beach drive.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Penchy - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 08:05

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 08:05
Conditions don't really change on the beach just try to limit your travel an hour or 2 either side of low tide otherwise accessing some areas is difficult. Entry and exits to the beach around the points can have some very soft sand, as can some of the inland tracks. Keep your tyre pressures down and drive sensibly and you wont have many troubles. It's the guys driving late model Discos on HT at 40psi that like to get stuck on the inland tracks and hold everyone up. SLOW DOWN for the washouts. Hitting them at speed can be a wake up when everything in the car hits the roof. If you can cross the washouts close to the ocean, there is not much of a drop off there. As for what to see - Champane Pools and Lake Mackenzie are my picks. If you have kids, Eli Creek might be worth a look, but it gets busy there during the middle of the day.
AnswerID: 514654

Reply By: Duncan B - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 22:09

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 22:09
Beach conditions can change daily on Fraser, at the moment the eastern beach on Fraser has suffered from alot of erosion due to high tides and large swells, we're heading over on Friday aswell for two nights, we're heading up to the sandy cape for some fishing. There is a large amount of coffee rock exposed which needs to be taken with caution, just north of Happy Valley the rocks are making it hard to pass even near on low tide so you really need to watch the tides. Also be aware of some white sandstone rocks up near catherdral beach very hard to see if your travelling late in the afternoon or early morning as it blends in with the sand. I think they are doing some road works on the northern side of Yidney rocks starting next weekend so you will need to take the bypass track through happy valley. You shouldn't have any worries if you take note of the tides and travel with caution. Might see you up there!!!

cheers
Duncan
AnswerID: 514718

Sponsored Links