Premium Diesels

Submitted: Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:23
ThreadID: 103209 Views:4444 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I have been using Caltex Vortex premium diesel lately and am definitely getting more mileage, typically I find it only 1 cent dearer than say Shell's standard diesel. I am hearing good things about BP Ultimate Diesel but can't see any outlets in Melbourne? has anyone had any experience with these 2 premium diesels.?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:42

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:42
hi terra
I tried a couple of tank fulls of bp ultimate diesel in my vw golf while towing my camper trailer last year and it ran smoother and gave better results .6 of a km /p/100lt but because of the extra cost price difference was substantial at the time (cant remember off hand) but couldn't justify using it just use Caltex vortex which is our normal diesel here in wa from woolworths
cheers
AnswerID: 514673

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:44

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:44
Thanks Mazcan, Don't think BP's Ultimate is in Melbourne yet so will have to wait until it gets here.
FollowupID: 793757

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 21:51

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 21:51
When Caltex Vortex first became available...I accidently filled my Patrol at a servo in Armidale with it...didnt realise what had happened until I went to pay for it ...too late then.
On the way along the Waterfall way towards Coffs Harbour there are a few pretty good hills...and the truck was feeling not its best after a little while...a bit sluggish ...and I found I was using gearbox a fair bit more. I pulled up and checked tyres for heat and flat ...and when walking back up lhs of camper I was surprised at the covering of black soot along the side of camper...lots more than usual.
I realised that it was the fuel...and put up with the poor performance until Coffs...where I topped up with the normal diesel as soon as the tank got down a bit. Straight away the truck started to go a bit better ...and get back to starting like it normaly did. The soot and smoke that was around the exhaust was very noticeable and performance returned to normal after a couple of top-ups of normal diesel. I should also add that I/P and injectors were done about 10000 k before ...truck was well serviced...fuel and air filters were clean...running a snorkle with bigger exhaust.
So it was the fuel...and I for one wont use it again in my current truck anyhow. IMO...it is probably well suited to modern common rail high performance diesels....but not the old reliable garden variety like mine

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 793801

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:13

Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:13
hi keith
cant relate to the problem you experienced and I have been using vortex fuel for a considerable amount of time in my2005 vw golf also in my 1996 build date mazda bravo and they both operate very well on it
w.a was the first state to change to low sulphur fuels and bp ultimate and Caltex vortex
neither of my vehicles are common rail so that hasn't come into the equation in my case I buy at Woolworth garages across the state and have never had any water or dirty fuel issues and that's over many years now
maybe in the east the floods and old tanks could be an issue
I read so many threads where explor people say they have bought contaminated fuel from outlets
maybe our regulations are tighter over in w.a
cheers
FollowupID: 793830

Reply By: rocco2010 - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 14:02

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 14:02
Gidday

Since I have had my ipad I have also had one of those logbook apps which generates accurate fuel use and cost records for my Ranger.
I have a Coles Shell and woolworths Caltex in my area and use whichever one is more convenient on the day (they are on opposite sides of a main road so It depends which way I am heading)
Over eight months I have found fuel use has more to do with type of driving than the brand of fuel. If I have week where all I do is pretty much go to work which is a mostly freeway 50km round trip outside peak hour, fuel use can be as low as 7.5 to 8 litres per 100. Throw in a different pattern with more runs to the local shops or a different shift that includes some peak-hour crawl say and it is more likely to be 8.5l/100 or a bit higher.
Then there is the pump. I usually go to the second click (I don't like diesel on me) but do they all give the same amount? One pump might give a litre less before the shut off, another a litre more.
No doubt plenty of people will tell me I am wrong and brand A is better than B but I reckon you would need to run the test over more than just a few tankfuls and then there is the problem of matching the driving conditions and the driver.
I know people on low incomes or who drive longer distances might not agree, but sometimes saving a dollar isn't worth the hassle.
Just my 2 cents worth, and that isn't much diesel!
I
Cheers.

AnswerID: 514678

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 15:14

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 15:14
I have to agree with Rocco 2010 regarding if there is a difference and if there is a differance is it from the fuel or the driver or the conditions.

The hardest thing is all these tests everyone does is not done under controlled conditions and there are so many variables that can alter fuel consumption.

In most cases we are talking between .2 to .7 lts per 100k difference, these numbers are so small it would be hard to gauge how accurate it is...... we are talking 1.5 to 5 lts over 700km of travel.

Maybe it's the "placebo effect" that makes one think it's better.

As I say to many..... if it makes you feel better then keep on doing it.

AnswerID: 514679

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 20:56

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 20:56
You maybe right Olcoolone placebo is what happens
FollowupID: 793797

Follow Up By: Jarse - Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 14:37

Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 14:37
The only difference I could tell between the Caltex original and Vortex diesels is that the Vortex doesn't foam when filling the tank. Takes less time to fill...

I run mainly Shell and Caltex, and occasionally BP Ultimate. The only difference I can tell is the price and shiny stickers on the bowsers. Makes absolutely no difference performance or economy-wise in my Prado.

I just buy what's cheapest of the three on the day. That's the saving I make LOL.
FollowupID: 793842

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 09:37

Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 09:37
There have been some extensive threads on diesel fuels on other australian forums and the results are interesting.

The so called Premium diesels, may be better than that brand old diesel formular...BUT....those brand in general do not sell a standard diesel in any servo I;ve been in recently...so if you go to a particular branded servo..ya go one choice...diesel.

That said, my hilux seems to run better on the Caltex product and decidely slugish on the shell....especially if i skip adding the two stroke to the tank

Others report that their vehicles run better or worse on other combinations of brands.

Seem seem to report little or no difference

Is it the difference in the cetain, the lubricity, the additional detergent or the " purity of the fuel".....ir is it that particular cars have been tuned on particular fuels.......well very good question.

One thing is certain different diesel engines seem to respond differently to different fuels.

Anybody who is asking questions about diesel fuel should investigate in issue off adding two stroke oil to their tank at 200:1.
There is extensive coverage on the matter on the internet and several independent scienticic tests on the matter.

If ya interested, google " two stroke in diesel" and brew a very large pot of coffee.

Two good threads to start at are the ones on ausfish and 4wdaction.....if you want to get heavy the landrover forum of some of the us sites.

It certainly makes a difference t my hilux.

cheers
AnswerID: 514723

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 14:10

Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 14:10
Thanks Bantam, The 2t oil is. Something I will try I have cummins diesels in a boat mechanical injected and reckon it makes a lot of sense and will grab some Castrol Active T . The sulphur change wasn't aware of, thanks for your feedback
FollowupID: 793840

Reply By: Stu & "Bob" - Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 14:30

Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 14:30
BP Ultimate fuel is great stuff. The car runs better, and makes a little bit more power. (climbs hills a bit easier)
Unfortunately I can't get it here (Cairns) but prefer to use it when available.

Other than that, I only use BP fuels in my diesels.

My .02
AnswerID: 514736

Reply By: mikehzz - Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 15:48

Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 15:48
Premium diesel doesn't claim to have a higher octane rating like premium petrol. It only claims to be cleaner in your engine, so over time it should give you better performance. So theoretically there should be no immediate difference. I was warned against it in Europe as it may not lubricate the pumps and injectors as well on some cars. I don't know if that's true but I was told it in a garage in Germany by one of the attendants.
AnswerID: 514740

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 08:39

Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 08:39
The Caltex Vortex makes no claim on cetane number, but BP Ultimate has the highest cetane number of any of the diesels at 52. Standard BP diesel is 51.
Australian standard is 46 minimum - modern vehicles will have a minimum cetane number in the handbook - our Tiguan needs 50+ and our Landcruiser 48+.
FollowupID: 793884

Reply By: TerraFirma - Monday, Jul 15, 2013 at 12:58

Monday, Jul 15, 2013 at 12:58
Just found these cetane numbers on the Nulon website. Interesting numbers.

Nulon have a Cetane Booster that boosts cetane up to 8 points.

Indicative Cetane number increases

Caltex Vortex Diesel Cetane number
53.5+NBC = 61.3 (7.8 cetane number increase)

Caltex Diesel Cetane number
54.4+NBC = 62.8 (8.4 cetane number increase)

Shell Diesel Cetane number
51.3+NBC = 58.6 (7.3 cetane number increase)
(When used at the maximum recommended treat rate.)

Shell Diesel Cetane number
51.3+NBC = 58.6 (7.3 cetane number increase)
(When used at the maximum recommended treat rate.)
AnswerID: 514831

Sponsored Links