Black Rocks Beach

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 19:30
ThreadID: 103264 Views:1469 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Anyone been to Black Rocks Beach near Evans Head?! What's it like, do you camp right on the beach? Nicole
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 19:56

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 19:56
Hi Nicloe,

I was there 12 months ago, so this is from memory.

A good number of sites of varying sizes on a loop road with the long side of the loop parallel to the beach. Or perhaps it's just a road parallel to the beach with a turning loop at the end, not sure. The campground is above a low cliff, you are not behind a dune. There are no beachfront sites - there is bush between the road and the cliff/beach - and all the campsites are on the inside of the loop or road. Vegetation is coastal scrub - no big shade trees, but good privacy between sites. Good for solar :-)

It is only a short walk to the beach. I can only recall one beach access at the southern end of the campground, but there may be others. 12 months ago there was considerable erosion and access to the beach was a scramble. The cliffs are sand and black rocks, hence the name.

IIRC there is one communal BBQ next to a very large group campsite or perhaps day area.

Cannot recall the road in, but being NSW NP I'm pretty confident it is 2WD all weather.

It's all a bit hazy, I took no notes, sorry, but I think that's reasonably accurate. Won't be offended at corrections:-)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 514894

Reply By: Barbera72 - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 21:34

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 21:34
It's the Bundjalung National park and the access road is a 2wd dirt track. The beach with the black rocks is quite nice but the camp spots are on the dusty track and there are no ocean views. From there you can drive on the beach south almost all the way to Iluka. There are some nice walks if you are into easy hiking.
AnswerID: 514899

Follow Up By: racinrob - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013 at 07:50

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013 at 07:50
Not your ideal camping destination unless you're into beach fishing. NPWS have provided composting toilets and BBQs but windy and bleak unless you can find a protected site. JMHO.

rr
FollowupID: 794060

Follow Up By: Gnomey - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013 at 10:16

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013 at 10:16
Minor correction. No vehicular access to the beach from Black Rocks Camp Ground. The ramp has been washed out for some years now.

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 794076

Sponsored Links