Primus fridge freezers

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 18, 2013 at 22:43
ThreadID: 103305 Views:14326 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all!,

I'm in the market for a fridge/freezer to go in the back of the Cruiser when we're away in the van, and I had pretty well narrowed it down to an Engel or Evakool around the 60l size.

Today I saw a Primus Mammoth 65l FF with dual zones/lids which looked very well constructed and finished. Have any forum members had any experience with this particular range of fridges? - can you give some feedback on performance, durability etc please?

Thanks

Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 07:46

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 07:46
I recently bought their older model. The Mammoth are similar with some improvements.

I also have a National Luna which IMHO is the best fridge on the market with dual zones / lids and think the Primus is made by National Luna.

The insulation is over twice as thick as Engel ( which really suffer in the heat) and they draw little current.

You can freeze and fridge at the same time with individual temperature settings, this works really well for me. I use it as a fridge / dairy - 1 degree/ 5 degrees which works well.

IMHO get it. Engel are an old design that is over rated. They are noisy, electrically noisy and crap insulation. They were the best fridge 20 years ago though LOL.

Flame suit on........
AnswerID: 514996

Reply By: Evakool - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 08:48

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 08:48
Hi Phil,

Evakool has a 70 litre unit which has dual zones and dual control, it is completely flexible in that it can be a Fridge / Fridge, Freezer / Freezer or Fridge / Freezer.

You may be interested to read the review that has been posted about the Evakool IB70 dual control unit. This review has been submitted by a customer that has owned the Evakool IB70 for 6 months.

Evakool IB70 Review

Thanks.
AnswerID: 515000

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 09:53

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 09:53
Hi Phil, I hope you get some good feedback, I'm also in the market for a new fridge. currently leaning to an Engle, as you don't seem to hear much about the rest. I know in the club we have a few ARB but mostly waeco and engle. I would rate reliability as my most important requirement, this is dificult to judge with some of the less popular brands.
AnswerID: 515013

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 11:36

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 11:36
I think both the Companion and the Primus are almost the same fridge in that model, I know the Companion uses the Danfoss compressor. The Evakool impressed me with it's design and thicker insulation although I read some funny requirements with regards to Evakool warranties. Someone refresh my memory but I think they need to be inspected or serviced regularly to get the warranty. (Correct me if I am wrong). I think it's good to see the fridge market with more competition and the Primus would be worth considering.
AnswerID: 515018

Reply By: Bob K1 - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 11:52

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 11:52
Hi Phil,
I endorse the comments re National Luna. Have one in the camper and another in the rear of the Discovery. They are a great versatile unit and very economical on battery use.

Cheers,
bobk
AnswerID: 515020

Reply By: HarryH - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 21:43

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 21:43
I've got a 47ltr ARB fridge and a 70ltr Evakool fridgemate(the yellow one) I love both, the Evakool has been running non stop since day one as a beer fridge when not in the 4by and is a great fridge IMO -all fridge or fridge/freezer is handy. The insulation on the Evakool is great and it is tough as guts, some people don't like the compressor bolted to the side but I like it. The ARB has some great features as well and both use the Danfoss compressor which any fridgy in the country can repair if needed(it hasn't been :). Engel is acknowledged almost universally as a great fridge I'm sure you'd be happy with either fridge, I don't know much about the Primus so wont comment on them. If I had my time again id still go with the Evakool- its a great fridge at a decent price and is an Aussie company.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
AnswerID: 515051

Follow Up By: HarryH - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 21:50

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 21:50
FYI I've had the Evakool for about 5 or 6 years and the ARB for 2 years. I bought the ARB because i bought a smaller 4wd and the 70ltr was too big for it.
FollowupID: 794196

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 22:00

Friday, Jul 19, 2013 at 22:00
hi
my neighbour bought a primus it lasted just over 12 month and only was used on sealed rds between bunbury and the south coast it wasn't a patch on engel for quality he ditched it and bought an engel 4yrs ago and is very happy with it and absolutely no problems
ive been using engel since 1980 and wouldn't think of buying any other brand not one problem my first one was 8yrs old when I bought it and I only sold it in good working order last year as I didn't need 2
my newer one is now 8yrs old and never missed a beat and ive never had any problems using it in constant very hot weather and uses very little power very reliable
cheers
AnswerID: 515053

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 18:56

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 18:56
Mate have a look at the Bushman fridge.

I have had one for around 6/7 yrs and has performed extremely well.

It also draws very little power.

FollowupID: 794227

Sponsored Links