Normanton to Burketown - Borroloola

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 15:45
ThreadID: 103327 Views:2413 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
This is my first post, we are heading off on our first family trip (4 year old and 3 year old), we are currently looking at options, my preferred is something a bit adventurous, and thought could be it. We will travelling in a Toyata Kluger AWD towing an offroad camper, can anyone tell what the road is like and if the Kluger will be suitable for the road.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 20:00

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 at 20:00
Hi Glen, the road is corrugated and bull dust in parts too. You see two wheel drives in the area, but they tend to look a bit beaten up. Your Kluger can indeed get there, but keep the tyres at lower pressures and expect higher fuel consumption.

Tyres are part of your wearing suspension and traction componentry, being street tyres I should expect more punctures than 4x4 owners expect. Softer rubber and lighter construction. Allow a couple of cases as risk, though you may get lucky. Tyres can take a lot of shock out of corrugations, or can magnify the heat to be dissipated from your shockers. Your choice.

We travelled that area just about a month ago. No tyre issues until a pop rivet on the Oodnadatta Track pierced a case this week.
AnswerID: 515087

Reply By: Member - John F (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 07:17

Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 07:17
Hi Glen You will need to watch your clearance under the vehicle. If your car is not 4 wheel drive personally I would not attempt it.
If you get to Burketown and change your mind it is not to difficult to Head down to Gregory Downs (145klms) and pick up sealed roads.
We travelled to Borroloola 2 years ago not long after a lot of rain in the area towing a semi off road caravan towed with a 100 series Landcruiser and encountered very little problems. Would have liked to have spent more time in the area.
Hope all goes well for you and enjoy your planned vacation.
Regards John
AnswerID: 515101

Sponsored Links