Sunday History Photo / NSW

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 09:10
ThreadID: 103334 Views:2837 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Todays SHP comes to you from the town of Aspach in the beautiful wine growing area of baden-württemberg in Germany.

The Cadia area in New South Wales is 20 km SSW of Orange, the large provincial city on the western slopes of the Great Dividing Range, 250 km west of Sydney. The area is elevated, with the local feature being Mount Canobolas at an altitude of 1396 m, 11 km SW of Orange.
The Cadia area is 12 km south of Mt Canobolas, roughly at an elevation of 800 m though with interesting valleys and waterways.

In July 1851, copper lodes in the Cadia area were reported by the first NSW Government Geologist, Samuel Stutchbury. In about 1860, the owners of a 565 acre property on the west side of Cadiangullong Creek (also known as Oakey Creek) were Sir Saul Samuel, Randolph
J. Want, Thomas Icely and John Savery Rodd. They began sinking shafts and drives on various parts of the lode, finding that some parts of the lode of copper ores were as much as 70 feet wide. The lode appeared to be mainly of red copper oxide and green copper carbonate.
It appears that the owners of the Cadia property had taken advice from members of the mining community in the area where there had already been considerable mining and smelting activity. They agreed that they would lease the property to the Scottish Australian Mining Company (SAMC) which had extensive interests not only in NSW but in South Australia and Victoria as well. The Company had ordered a 25 inch rotative beam engine, to be built by J. Thomas and Company at the Charlestown Foundry in St Austell, Cornwall. It was to be identical with the 25 inch engine then operating at the South Crinnis Mine in Cornwall.

The engine was to be inspected on behalf of SAMC by James Sims prior to its despatch to Sydney in 1859. Sims was well known to mining companies in Australia as he had designed two engines for use in South Australia, both made by Harvey & Co. of Hayle. His report on the inspection of the 25 inch engine and the crushing machine, also made at the Thomas Works, was laudatory. A copy of his handwritten letter still exists, sent from Redruth in Cornwall and dated 22 September 1859.
The engine was received at the wharf in Sydney on 9 May 1860. SAMC had determined, prior to their order of the engine, that it would be used at the Good Hope Mine near Yass, about 300 km SW of Sydney but installation at this site was deferred. After almost two years in storage in Sydney, the engine and other equipment such as the crusher were moved to Cadia in February 1862, instead of to Yass.
Limited as the progress for the start of operations at Cadia was through correspondence to and from Cornwall and elsewhere overseas by ship, yet there is always appearing some obvious acquaintance between various members of the mine community around the world.

Cadia Mine is a series of large underground and open-cut gold and copper mines located in the Cadia Valley, about 20 kilometres south of the regional city of Orange, New South Wales, Australia. The mine has been developed throughout the 1990s and is a major employer in the region with an expected lifespan of several decades. Cadia is the second largest open cut mine in Australia after the Super Pit at Kalgoorlie.
The mine is operated by Newcrest Mining. Cadia-Ridgeway is one of three gold mines Newcrest currently operates in Australia, the other two being Telfer in Western Australia and Cracow in Queensland.

In 1992 Newcrest Mining discovered the Cadia Hill ore body and began establishing what was to become one of the largest open cut gold mines in Australia.
One of the challenges that Newcrest faced was the 19th century Cadia village cemetery, which due to its position would have to be exhumed and relocated. From 1998, Newcrest liaised with and gained approval from the NSW Heritage Office to exhume the Cadia Cemetery and rebury the remains.
Very few 19th century cemeteries have been exhumed in Australia. This project provided a rare opportunity to study Australian burial practice over the last 150 years and to add to the history of the Cadia region. In 1998 the Cadia Cemetery was exhumed by a team of 15 archaeologists, over a period of six months and the burials were relocated to an area close to the Cornish Engine House, named the Garden of Remembrance

These Co-Ords will show the mine on Google Earth.

33°28'6.73"S 148°59'34.46"E
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 10:06

Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 10:06
Thanks Doug

Been through there a lot but did not know about the engine house. I will look it up next time in Orange area.

Alan
AnswerID: 515105

Reply By: Ken - Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 10:08

Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 10:08
Hi Doug, great stroy again. Do you know if the engine survives ?

Regards,
Ken
AnswerID: 515107

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 13:18

Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 13:18
No off hand
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 794260

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 13:20

Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 13:20
No I don't know , I didn't come across any info about the engines where abouts .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 794261

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 15:29

Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 15:29
That is 'dedication' to the job Doug - coming from the other side of the globe AND from the middle of a wine region but still capable of producing the weekly effort - well done lad...

Cheers Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515123

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 15:54

Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 15:54
Thanks Phil, I was a bit late due the traffic after midnight over here, I had just been the main event concert by the beautiful Andrea Berg at her home town 2 nights, Friday and Saturday...

So I have a couple of SHP's ready to go while away.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 794268

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 23:40

Monday, Jul 22, 2013 at 23:40
Hope you are having a lovely time over there Doug, and thanks for the the effort of posting your SHP while away.... over and above....

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515216

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 01:36

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013 at 01:36
Thanks, having a great time, Something just came to mind, I did bring my ExplorOz shirt , I should have had it on when I met Andrea but like everyone else I had a T-shirt on with her on it. She is really someone special, I wish she could go to Australia and we could show her some of our hot country, although it has been warm here at 33deg today, I am at a place called Mannheim for 2 nights ,
Yeh I had to get some SHP's ready in advance for the trip , timing was out because of the concert but next week should be ok.

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 794388

Sponsored Links