BT50 front axle change

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 18:44
ThreadID: 103347 Views:6293 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, i have a question regarding the repair of my front passengers side CV and axle.
For some reason the retainer clip gave way and has allowed the CV to flog out the male end of the spline which comes out of the diff.
I have pulled the CV off and have a new axle on hand but am having trouble figuring out how to get the axle out of the diff.

Do i need to take the diff centre apart, is there more retainer clips bla bla bla.
im sure there is someone out there who has done this job or has the knowhow.

any help will be greatly appreciated

Watty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Colcam42 - Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 19:16

Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 19:16
Don't really know about BT50 specifically but normally, front shafts are located in the diff gears by a similar split ring on the inner spline, a good hard yank normally does it. You usually have to remove the axle shafts in order to remove the diff. Try it keeping the shaft level, should come out
AnswerID: 515144

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 20:00

Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 20:00
How old is it? Does it still have any warranty? If its a common problem, it still may be covered, even if out of warranty! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 515147

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 21:21

Sunday, Jul 21, 2013 at 21:21
barefoot
I'm not real sure of what you mean.
A BT50 has a ADD system where the left hand side of the diff is a short shaft which is connected when 4wd is selected, to the next shaft which is part of the LHS inner CV.

SO unless you have disconnected the whole LHS of the diff assembly you won't be seeing the spline which goes into the diff.

Beginning at the diff on the LHS there are,
1. Short shaft to ADD unit.
2. 4wd selection vacuum unit/lock ring.
3. LHS inner shaft.
4. Inner CV
5. CV shaft
6. Outer CV.
Then the LHS hub.
AnswerID: 515149

Sponsored Links