Map / GPS wall poster

Submitted: Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 22:13
ThreadID: 10337 Views:2145 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys

I would like to get the last 10 years treks that I have completed etched into an alloy or similar wall hanging map of Australia

I was thinking of maybe putting down the trek onto a computer mapping software and then someone could etch these details onto a display wall hanging or similar.

Any ideas?

Bear

BEAR
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 22:56

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 22:56
Try a trophy shop - they probably could handle that sought of job ?

About 30 odd years ago an 'arty' friend of mine was doing a similar type of thing - I think he used a photo negative and exposed the metal plate which was coated with a photo sensitive emulsion which etched the surface.

So it is not a new thing!
Good luckSubaru Forester
"size isn't everything"
AnswerID: 45759

Reply By: Allan 2 (Pilbara) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 07:02

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 07:02
Bear
You may get some help from maybe a sheet metal place that does Laser cutting. They tend to be able to etch and cut to great accuracy but there would be a lot of if's. The etching may not be visible enough and your file would have to suit their system. But you could get your map done in nearly any metal. A polished stainless steel could be nice. If you're in Brisbane, try Samin sheet metal.
Allan
AnswerID: 45775

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 09:56

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 09:56
I made a simple one out of a Shell 'Australia- Roadmap'. Opened the map up and taped it on to a piece of hardboard and then used a felt ink pen to fill in all the roads we have been on. It is getting a bit worn now and might have to make a new one. All these projects keeps one busy!

Cheers,
Willem
Out on the Gibber
AnswerID: 45819

Sponsored Links