EOTrackMe - Updating positions

Does any one know how often EOTrackMe updates its data. The reason I ask is that I am tracking one of our club members who is travelling in WA. As at 9:30am this morning (EST), EOTrackMe still has him at his overnight stop.

However, when I check his progress on the Spotwalla site, I can see he has already traveled for 45 minutes this morning and covered nearly 75kms.

Laurie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 13:17

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 13:17
Hi Laurie,

If you haven't reported a position in more than 1 hour, you are put into an "hourly queue". Our system then runs a check every 60 minutes for these devices, once we have seen a position update, the data is then imported every 15 minutes.

So the initial delay can be up to 1 hour, however all positions in that hour will be imported at once, and tracking is updated frequently from then onwards.

Please just let me know if you require any further information on this.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 515314

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 16:30

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 16:30
I will add to Adele's answer. This queuing function only relates to the SPOT devices all other devices are real time if they are in service.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 794534

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 13:06

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 13:06
David, an hour is a long wait for initial tracking. My wife heads out MTBing and using EoTrackMe is'nt an option to use in the first hour. It is fine for outback travelling, but nor for MTBing in mountainous terrain. If the terrain is heavily treed, then I often dont get positions for over an hour. This rules out using EoTrackMe, but for outback travel it is fine.

BTW, I am currently following 2 different SPOT units who are currently at Well 33 on the CSR. Looks like they are having a couple of rest days before continuing, as they havent moved since they arrived on Wed night.

FollowupID: 794664

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 12:27

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 12:27
Spot devices are really the issue here. 10-15 min between positions is not really great in my opinion for anything other than vehicle or boat based. For all our riding and walking we use real time devices such as phones or tracking units. The phone than has the advantage of being able to call in. I can change the queuing system for spot to pick up directly if someone is looking at the device but I figured the hour queue to 15 in pick-up was always enough. I can also change the queue frequencies but 90% of the devices in the database do not move for months or years so it is an economy of scale.

What do you want it to do?
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 794711

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 12:32

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 12:32
Also from your comments I am confused why EOTrackME is out if you device will not get a position? If you got one when you started you will be tracked, if the SPOT does not then get one how on earth is this a failure of EOTrackMe? You can also travel a long way in 10-15mins and hence this is why I would not rely on SPOT for this level of tracking.

Once a position is received you will be maintained in the hourly queue for the next 3 hours, so once you get one pos then you will be in the rapid queue for at least 3 hours before moving back to the hourly queue.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 794712

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Sunday, Jul 28, 2013 at 18:09

Sunday, Jul 28, 2013 at 18:09
David

Thanks for your feedback, It is good to know that you keep on tracking for 3 hours. This is good as often when my wife goes MTBing she can be out of range with SPOT due to thick vegetation for over an hour.

With regards to the initial position, is it possible to add a control to the user's page so that trackers can manually request an update from SPOT? Perhaps time limit the poll attempts so that a manual request can only be made once in a 60 minute period? Effectively, maximum of one an hour would suffice to allow a tracker to get the first position quicker than waiting the standard one hour. This would also allow you to stop polling unused SPOTs every hour, as you currently do.

Laurie
FollowupID: 794783

Sponsored Links