Differences between Jayco Hawk, Eagle and Swan..??

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:05
ThreadID: 103393 Views:87695 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

We're going through the process of buying (well, shopping) for a camper. We've settled on the wind up type like the Jayco Hawk/Eagle/Swan or Coromal equivalent. We're buying second hand with a budget of $20k.

One thing we're having difficulty with at the moment is distinguishing the actual difference between the Jayco Hawk, Eagle and Swan! We're looking at the off road versions and externally they all look the same. As far as I can tell, the only internal differences appear to be minor layout changes with a lounge in a different spot or the wardrobe/cupboard etc.

Is there something I am missing here or are the differences basically in name only??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 12:03

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 12:03
The Jayco website shows the swan is longer than the eagle. Might be best to have a look on there.

Be careful though...they are not offroad (they call them outback) just all road for want of a better word. Their wheel track is wider than the tow car, so a dead weight in sand. You would need to take it carefully if you went on corrugations. Taking care will see you take it many places.

Brett...
AnswerID: 515308

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 12:17

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 12:17
Thanks DiscoTourer.

I've got a PDF open of Jayco's 2010 range that shows all the dimensions and the Hawk and Eagle appear to be the same size. We might have to give the Swan a miss as we still need it to be able to fit in our garage and as you point out it is longer (5.5 metres)

At this point in time we aren't going full-on off road because we don't have a fourby, we have an AWD SUV and won't be dragging the trailer anywhere the tow car can't or won't go. That said, it is still capable of going where a 2WD vehicle can't, hence looking at the "off road" versions.
FollowupID: 794516

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 15:21

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 15:21
I looked at some recently and had much the same question.
I think there are differences in the layout and the size of one bed. The Swan has one bed that is wider. Swan and Eagle have a microwave fitted.Eagle and Swan seem to have an extra cupboard.There is a difference in weights and tow ball weight. Hawk, tare weight 961kg Tow ball 125kg Eagle tare 950kg tow ball 108kg Swan tare 1055, towball 115kg. I think the Hawk layout with the kitchen at the front puts more weight on the tow ball.
AnswerID: 515320

Follow Up By: SDG - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 17:50

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 17:50
Those weights surely would be heavier than that.
I have the outback Swift, and its Tare is 1020, max ball weight of 110.

At least thats what is on the compliance plate.
FollowupID: 794543

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 18:06

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 18:06
Hi SDG
I got those figures from the official Jayco 2013 Trailer Camper brochure that has details of all current models and options. They have the Swift at tare 778kg and towball 778. But, the Outback models of all units weigh more. The Outback Swift is given as towball 66kg and tare 930kg.The figures I gave before are those the brochure gives for the road versions. The outback versions of each have about 200kg extra tare and about 15kg more for towball weight. The interesting one is the Swan which seems to balance front and rear weights a little differently and has a lower towball weight relative to the tare.
The other one of interest is the Penguin which has a much heavier towball weight relative to tare because of the position of the bed which changes where the door goes which means the axle is located further back.
FollowupID: 794544

Follow Up By: SDG - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 18:21

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 18:21
Interesting. Even the frigures for Swift are not the same as mine. Just wondering exactly when the vans get weighed. As they come off the factory, or after accesorries get added on. Mine came with battery and innerspring mattress, shower, electric pump.
I'm guessing the extra 90kgs might be these. Don't know how they do ball weight
FollowupID: 794545

Reply By: Grizzle - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 16:25

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 16:25
Hawk and Eagle are the same van just different internal layout. Swan is bigger, same layout as the Eagle (or Hawk cant remember which). Is about 300mm longer internally. there is an extra set of cupboards and drawers on the right as you walk in. This also gives an extra bench top.

Chassis on the Outback version is heavier duty but internal structure is the same on Outback and On Road version.

Take some rivets, glue and screwdrivers and you will get pretty much anywhere that the van will fit.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515324

Reply By: Macca44 - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 16:37

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 16:37
G day Road Warrior. We have a Jayco Hawk outback 2012 model. Hawk and Eagle are the same size and shape with different layout in side. We think the hawk with kitchen and fridge to the front is better. Swan is bigger van and dearer. We think hawk is a great van for 2 . Great to tow, not hard to put and down. Just come back from 2 weeks in Flinders rangers , great trip and no problems with van. Regards Macca.
AnswerID: 515325

Reply By: Road Warrior - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 15:07

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 15:07
Thanks everyone for your comments.
AnswerID: 515358

Follow Up By: wozzie (WA) - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 23:53

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 23:53
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The For Sale/Wanted to Buy Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 794638

Follow Up By: wozzie (WA) - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 13:11

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 13:11
G'day Road Warrior,

Where are you ? Have you thought about the Dove? I noted that you could have storage problems in the garage.

The Dove is smaller than the one's you mentioned.

The wife and I recently finished a "Big" lap for nearly 2 years, setting out from Perth WA, doing all the iconic drives, Cape Leveque, Gibb River road, Mitchell Falls, Kakadu, Kings Canyon, Oodnadatta Track, Lake Eyre, Birdsville Track, Strezlecki, Arkaroola, down to the Eyre and Yorke Penninsula, Victoria, Tasmania, further through Victoria and up the coast of NSW QLD and on to Cape York, back down and across to Normanton, Mt Isa, Boulia, Winton, Longreach, Quilpie, Bourke, and down and across to White Cliffs, Broken Hill, and then back through SA to the Nularbor, Esperance, south coast and finally home, and found the Dove was just right for 2, and also just the right size for the many creek/river crossings in our travels.

We have the Outback Version, which reluctantly we may have to dispose of, due to other circumstances.

Hope you find what you want.
Dreamin' agin

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 794666

Sponsored Links