TPMS Security

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 14:22
ThreadID: 103395 Views:2016 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have just installed a TPMS system on my Captiva & Jayco Discovery ready for future trips. I had a guess at settings. Should I remove the tyre sensors around town when I am not travelling? Is there a risk of them being pinched? I don't think the little anti-theft screw would do much. Opinions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 14:29

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 14:29
The only time I take them off is to air down or up. Never used the locking nut.

Have had them on for more than 7 years....and not yet been nicked.

Why would they nick them anyway ? They would also need to nick the display as they are coded to it.

Brett....
AnswerID: 515317

Follow Up By: Member - Andy T2 - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 15:20

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 15:20
Thanks Brett for taking the time to respond. Appreciated!
FollowupID: 794530

Follow Up By: Colcam42 - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 19:20

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 19:20
Hi Andy, we did have a nice set of TPMS on the ute and caravan,. However, whilst shopping at a centre in the northern suburbs out of Adelaide, somebody decided they needed them. 10000k plus around the country and no problems. Someone just forced them off, leaving the lock rings behind. Now I would remove them in between trips. I really got to rely on them, piece of mind and confidence. Now the mob selling the brand I had are shut down so need to consider another make.
What makes people do these things? Didn't they hang horse thieves in the wild west? we rely on our tyres as much as they did horses, mmm, I wonder!!!

Cheers, Col
FollowupID: 794687

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 14:54

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 14:54
Andy,

You don't say what brand you have. I have Tyredog. They come with the locking collars, which I use. You don't need a special security key, just small allen key, so they don't offer much security against someone who really wants them, but I've never had one stolen or vandalised.

However I have had the display stolen by some underage crims-in-training not smart enough to realise that it wasn't going to be much use to them. Maybe they thought it was a GPS.

(They also rifled through the glovebox and took a 5 watt hand-held UHF which I found in the park across the street!!)

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 515318

Follow Up By: Member - Andy T2 - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 15:19

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 15:19
Yeah mine is the allen key type too. Seems not to be an issue! Thanks. I won't leave the display around between trips. Bad luck about the mindless thievery! Cheers!
FollowupID: 794529

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 20:16

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 20:16
Just reading down to Reply #6 - When my Tyredog display was stolen the distributors, Zylux, replaced the unit and re-programmed my 6 sensors into it for only $120. I thought that was a pretty fair deal.

Also had three sensors fail in corrugations. The whole system, 6 sensors and display was replace with a completely new package under warranty, no questions asked. That replacement set has been working fine for 3 years now, including many corrugated roads.

I have recently installed foam blocks aroound the rubber valve stems to limit/cushion movement of the sensors - there was evidence of them hitting the rims.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 794568

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 17:00

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 17:00
hi Andy,

have only had mine for less than a year and did a lot of archive searching on this and other forums. Looks like most don't even bother with the locking nuts which would probably stop kids pinching them for kicks and at least make it more difficult for anyone else. The tyredogs saved me shredding a tyre last week on the F3 when I copped a pretty big stake through the tread, so I think they're worth keeping on around town too. I suppose if you're a bit lazy like me (and it appears a lot of others) and can't be bothered fumbling around with allen keys every time you want to take them off, don't worry. Depends how often you fiddle about with them too.
AnswerID: 515326

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 18:27

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 18:27
Have tyredogs on three cars and have never used the lock rings.....and nobody would pinch them; unless they stole your whole car!
AnswerID: 515328

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 18:44

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 18:44
I have the TPMS system on my vehicle and leave them on all the time.
I have the locking rings installed to stop the possibility of the sensors vibrating off on corrugated roads, etc.

Personally, I am not overly impressed with them as far as accuracy is concerned, but they are close enough to alert me to a rapidly deflating tyre. Heat has a marked impact on the pressure readings and when I first installed them, I used a manual digital tyre gauge and set the pressure in each tyre to this gauge.
After installing the sensors, the display panel showed a difference of several psi across the four tyres.

My next investment will be the internal type.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 515332

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 19:33

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 19:33
Bill, I can understand your dismay at the inaccuracy and discrepancies of the indications of your TPMS system. Don't be too concerned, they were never intended to replace your tyre pressure gauge as an indication of the true tyre pressures. Their value lies in the ability to alert you to unexpected tyre deflation and a few psi error does not compromise that function to any significance.

I too started with TPMS external valve stem-mounted devices, but two sensors failed in a short time. They were replaced under warranty but by then I had changed to an internal sensor system which, as it happens, does provide a close accuracy to tyre pressure. Nevertheless, I still use a hand-held gauge to set the tyre pressures and only rely upon the system to monitor for changes, particularly progressive pressure loss.

My system provides an alarm in the event of a rapid loss of pressure even before the actual pressure has reached the low-pressure alarm setting. A very useful feature in alerting at the earliest possible time.

Incidentally, the external type cannot read tyre temperature with any sort of accuracy whereas the internal type are much more able to do so. Tyre temperature can be of some interest when you are running at lowered pressures on sand as significant heat can be generated without much observation of pressure increase. Not too sure what you may do about it but at least you will be informed.

Loss of tyre pressure may well not be noticed in handling when driving on a rough track before incurring major tyre damage. My pressure monitor system has twice alerted me in time to avoid major damage so it has been well worth the investment.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 794556

Reply By: DBN05 (tas) - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 19:55

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013 at 19:55
Hi Andy T2'

have tyredog on both my 4x4 and caravan for over four years, had trouble within 6 month and tyredog people fix the problem staightaway great service.
about 5 months ago some low life took three of the four senders off the tyre, that was the one I hadn't taken the locking ring off, I only took the others off as tyres were going in to get balanced and ran out of light to do the forth. Rang tyredog told them what happened and also said my main sender was not reading all tyres when caravan hooked up. Sent the lot back to them and within a week or so had new sender as well as new sender for my tyres, ONLY charged for wheel units. Tyredog will save your tyres and they are great people to deal with.

No alliance with tyredog just a very happy customer.

Harvey (DBN05)
I NEVER get lost, but don't i see a lot of NEW places.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 515339

Reply By: Trevor P4 - Sunday, Jul 28, 2013 at 20:19

Sunday, Jul 28, 2013 at 20:19
The specs of any unit you are looking to buy will tell you its accuracy ie +- 1.5 PSI
AnswerID: 515505

Sponsored Links