Telstra telemarketers are con artists

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 18:00
ThreadID: 103407 Views:3079 Replies:13 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Many of us rely on Telstra 3G while travelling Australia, so when a I had a Telstra telemarketer ring the other day and tell me that for just $2 a month I can upgrade to G4 and 4 gigs for a mere $2 extra per month I unfortunately jumped at it.

Our current plan was G3 and 3gigs for $39 a month, so my impression was we pay an extra $2 a month,,,, wrong,, checked our bill a few days later and we are paying for the old plan and the new plan.

She also forgot to mention the extra $8 per month for the new usb thingo.

I rang Telstra this morning and they are investigating. I will know the result tomorrow.

I thought Telstra had lifted its game.

Anyway, for those that are interested this is a heads up in case they ring you.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 18:43

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 18:43
I think you will find that the telemarketers are commission agents not Telstra employees
I had one forge my signature once for a two year contract that I had no knowledge of.
The deal was quickly reversed when I threatened police intervention
AnswerID: 515366

Reply By: Axle - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 18:56

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 18:56
G/Day Boo Boo,..They have lifted their Game mate!....Their making more Dollars!!...LOL.

Cheers Axle.

Ps The Wifey is looking at the Aldi set up, we where told its very good?, who knows.
AnswerID: 515367

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 19:42

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 19:42
Axle
Be VERY careful if considering an ALDI thing. A mate bought one and had untold trouble in getting trying to get it to work and ended up just ditching the whole idea.

It appears you cannot know how much trouble it is until you buy it. No way to find out prior.
FollowupID: 794617

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 05:01

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 05:01
Also know someone who bought the Aldi tablet. He is more than happy with it. Just be aware that it cant run 4G (only 3G). If this isnt an issue for you, then it is fine.

Only thing I notice was that the colours weren't as vibrant as my ASUS tablet.
FollowupID: 794642

Reply By: kevmac....(WA) - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 19:40

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 19:40
Like any sale.... if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. But even through telemarketers the law still prevails and there are cooling off periods.......
AnswerID: 515371

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 19:54

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 19:54
I have the ombudsmans telephone number ready to go if I have a problem.

I can't believe the deception and misinformation the young lady gave me.

It's a good thing my wife looks at our bills or we may not have noticed the problem for a few months.

FollowupID: 794620

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 20:39

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 20:39
we have been led up the garden path both by phone sales and door to door sales where they had obviously deliberately misrepresented what they were selling , just to get the commission. We deal totally trough storefronts now...at least then can abuse someone face to face

FollowupID: 794625

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 19:48

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 19:48
Boo Boo
Always get the workers company ID number before ever doing any business or deciding anything.

All employees of Telstra and related services have a personal number which ID's them in the companies system.

If no number and there is doubt, don't proceed.

Ombudsman, actually an Ombudswoman, is the person to get investigating your problem, not the Telco themselves.

Everytime you ask the Telecomunication Ombudsman to investigate it costs Telstra or the related Telco $1000 a time. Telco has to pay Ombudsman, that is how Ombudsman is paid to provide the service.

Also the same for EnergyElectrics and Gas too.
AnswerID: 515372

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 20:21

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 20:21
You might find it appears to be a double charge but will get sorted out the next account with refunds for part months etc.

Tim
AnswerID: 515374

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 22:03

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 22:03
Well chaps, I simply will not deal with any telemarketer that expects to sign me up for anything over the phone.

When you understand that neither they nor their company get paid unless they sign you up for a new contract......you realise they do not have your interests as a priority.

And almost without exception they are contracted telemarketers that will be selling telecoms this week, energy contracts next, pay television the following and insurance the week after.

They are very well trained, but in general are only told what they need to know in order to close a sale.....they are intentionally not given any quality information or detail.

One of my clients has one of these contract marketing companies as a tennant & let me tell you I would not deal with them, or their like.

I will only deal with employees of the actual company, that I either dial into or deal with face to face.

I have given soo many telemarketers and all manner of shisters short shift....only to hear later that my initial suspicions where correct and they where complicit in a scam or misconduct reported on current affairs TV.

cheers
AnswerID: 515379

Reply By: Nifty1 - Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 22:30

Thursday, Jul 25, 2013 at 22:30
I broke away from Telstra at the start of the year - was paying typically $120pm for two phone services with 1Gb of data. Now on Kogan at $29pm each, unlimited calls and 6Gb of data. No overseas calls though. Took a few weeks to get it going but the service has been good, with better data speeds than Telstra. It's a 3G service, not 4G, but I have been impressed with every aspect of it so far. I'd had a Telstra mobile service since 1983 or 84 so it was a reluctant change but well worth it.
AnswerID: 515381

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 04:59

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 04:59
Although Kogan give you 6GB per month, they appear to be able to terminate your plan if you download more than 400MB per day if you do it more than 3 times a month, & they immediately if you download more than 1GB in one day.

It shouldn't be a major problem, but I am sure there will be times when you want to do a big download.

I am also intrigues by your comment that you can get faster speeds with Kogan. If your Kogan signal is coming from Telstra, then that is an interesting fact.

These cheaper providers are there because Telstra is moving into 4G. Neither Kogan or Boost can offer this. But if you are happy with 3G speeds, then these are great plans.
FollowupID: 794641

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 05:30

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 05:30
Nifty sorry to say, but it is not possible for Kogan to give you a faster speed than Telstra. It is a crippled version of the telstra network without 4G, less towers and lower 3G speed.
FollowupID: 794643

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 14:31

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 14:31
how many realise that Kogan use the Telstra mobile network for their infrastructure
FollowupID: 794671

Follow Up By: 515 - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 20:54

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 20:54
Aldi and Kogan use the stripped down or limited Telstra 2100mhz 3g and standard 2g. Both work well, I have an Aldi service for Muras mobile broadband dongle, my wife and daughter also use the service with no problems.

I use the Boost service, it is Telstra 3g (850 and 2100mhz) Unlimited calls with 3meg of data data for $40 per month.
My trip from the NSW Central Coast to Cairns this week show very few areas without coverage on the inland roads.
FollowupID: 794689

Follow Up By: Nifty1 - Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 09:08

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 09:08
Zebra, yes, there are rules with the Kogan service but they are not unreasonable for me. I actually went over one of the limits and they just emailed me to let me know.
Boobook, yes you are correct in theory about the speeds, but nevertheless I seem to get a better data service than I ever did with Telstra. It may be something to do with less congestion or faster backhaul services - there is more to a data service than the 3G packet rate.
FollowupID: 794708

Reply By: Member - Ups and Downs - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 08:54

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 08:54
I had a problem hearing one of the Telstra spruikers a few months back. Turns out he wasn't even ringing on Telstra, but was on Skype.

My concern with that whole thing though is that Telstra give these 'unknowns' our private information to use. How can that be right?

Paul
AnswerID: 515387

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 09:03

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 09:03
For travelling I use the Telstra Pre-Paid Wi-Fi 4G and I’ve had it for a couple of years. You can connect five devices and if 4G not available it switches to 3G.

The cost is $180 and a data allowance of 12GB covering one-year and I don’t think I’ve ever got close to using the limit.

That works out at $15 per month.
AnswerID: 515389

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:26

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:26
Not just Telstra but lately I know a lot of people that have been called by Telstra marketing agents who are looking to upsell or get people off old contracts. Unfortunately you need to read the fine print and should never take up an option over the phone, ask them tot put it in writing and email it to you. Most of the time they said they can't.! What you can't email me something in writing.?

Telstra like banks and other mobile and internet providers are evil necessities.
AnswerID: 515404

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 13:40

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 13:40
Well it's now 1336 hrs and I was suppose to get a call from Telstra between 0800 and 0900 with a resolution to this problem.

I will give them until 1500 then ring the ombudswoman.
FollowupID: 794669

Reply By: prado 01 - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 16:41

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 16:41
A similar thing happened to me a while back except I was changed without knowing.
Telstra wouldn't budge and I went to the ombudsman who gave me a ref. no and contact no.
After much discussion they returned me to my original plan and gave me a $200 credit.
You have to keep pushing.
Cheers
AnswerID: 515408

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 18:19

Friday, Jul 26, 2013 at 18:19
Despite over enthusiastic telemarketers and sales people Telstra is still by far the best telco with the best coverage and the best network. While its competitors are still struggling to get their 3G network working properly in all areas, Telstra is steaming ahead rolling out 4G ! The company's network superiority was illustrated last week, when The Australian Financial Review reported that Telstra is accelerating the construction of its 4G mobile network, with plans to reach 85 per cent of Australians by Christmas 2013.
Unlike many other great Australian companies that have been sold to overseas interests Telstra is still Australian owned and is iconicly Australian and a world leader in telecommunications. I am happy to pay a premium price for a premium product. I love Telstra.

AnswerID: 515413

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 11:37

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 11:37
No doubt in my mind Telstra has improved out of sight since dumping (or should that be parachuting - of the gold variety?) their CEO and their pricing on products and services is now much more competitive. They aren't perfect but they're a long way ahead of Optus, Virgin and Vodafone in so many areas. As with anything you need to do your homework and as someone said above, keep at them if you don't get a proper response.
FollowupID: 794710

Reply By: allein m - Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 10:50

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 10:50
I had one guy few months back who offered me a new phone I said I live in a remote area and need a external airial and if the phone he offered me was not able to have one it was useless he made a number of statements i asked for the model and mane of the phone he gave them to me

as he was chatting away I looked it up on the net it was nothing like he described and i made sure i got his name and made a complaint because that he might sell this same phone to some one in the city who come out this way on holidays and break down and find out they have no phone service
it is annoying but i could not sell any thing to any one i am far too honestlol
AnswerID: 515428

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 17:17

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 17:17
Well its finally been sorted out.

I ended up with another Telstra consultant and he was able to put me onto the right people.

A three way call ensued and it was realized by all that the initial seller had not explained it very well.

For example no mention was made of the $8 per month for the usb stick, it was part of the price.

Did not explain that the payment would be credited to the account when the 4 gig plan took over, etc etc.

So I am now happy with what I've got, but the whole thing should have been explained a lot clearer.

FollowupID: 794842

Sponsored Links