just bought first 4wd (terrano88) could use some advice

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 09:58
ThreadID: 10341 Views:2134 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have just bought a 88 nissan terrano, 2.7 diesel non turbo. couple of questions for anyone who can help. being a non turbo it is a bit of a slug, does anyone know if i could fit a set of extractors or similar??? Looking into larger exhaust which should help. also does anyone know of a way to lift it a little with minimal expense?? Having this problem looked into next week, my gearbox or clutch is rather noisy, and someone said it is prob a bearing. Is very crunchy changing gears from a cold start, but much better when warm. Has anyone had a similar problem with this model??? Thanks alot to all, looking forward to learning how to use my rig properly:) hopefully not too many scratches or dents

peanut
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:51

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:51
The TD27 in your car will probably be the same donk as in the locally sold Navara.
They are slugs as you say yours is.
You should probably aim your engine and exhaust questions at Navara owners rather than Terrano owners.
As most Terranos imported were Turbo models the info you require won't generally come from Terrano owners.
I have an imported automatic Terrano and I cannot answer too many of your questions except to say that, generally, diesels always work better with a bigger exhaust.
As for ride height, taller rear springs and a torsion bar tweak, followed by appropriate shockies. You really shouldn't tweak the torsion bars up too much as you lose suspension travel (articulation).
Cheers
Oskar
The real oskar
AnswerID: 45832

Follow Up By: peanut's terrano - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 15:18

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 15:18
Hey thanks alot oskar, saw your terrrano in member's rigs. Do you do much off road around brisbane?? Did first off road the other day what a blast

Penaut
FollowupID: 307941

Reply By: mik*2 - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:59

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:59
just wondering why it's a non turbo....I thought the imports were all turbos. It is an import isn't it, better check out what has happened to the original motor. If someone has simply pulled the old turbo off, better find out why and then best thing to do is go to a wrecker and buy the turbo kit that comes off these motors. maybe up to $500. They are here in Perth anyway. Not expensive, but a small turbo.
Crunching gears, change the oil in the gearbox. Had none of these probs with my Terrano, in fact had no probs at all. Just hated the gutless diesel.

cheers
mike
AnswerID: 45834

Follow Up By: peanut's terrano - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 15:31

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 15:31
Well there is a very long story to your question. I thought all the imports were turbo's too, and when bought from car yard was told it was a turbo. However i later (few weeks) found out it wasn't. As you might guess i have not a clue what a turbo looks like. It is the original motor, but the particular age and model i have do come in a non turbo, so i hauled the yard over the coals about the whole thing and eventually got some cash compensation. Was going to have a turbo fitted, but would not be able to get a warranty to cover and thought may be more trouble than it is worth. I don't mind the gutlessness too much, only on hills it really bugs me. Been told may have a problem with throw out bearing by several people. being serviced today, so we will see. Just a note to all out there the import yard i bought my car from i would not at all recommend. Import Auto Center in Springwood, in Brisbane. avoid them like the plague!!!!!!!! Not only did i have the problem with the turbo they also took over 6 weeks to take care of a pay out figure for my previous car

Peanut
FollowupID: 307942

Reply By: jewel - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:16

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:16
Hi Peanut. As an ex Terrano owner, my advice to you is to do one of two things. Either run the Terrano into the ground and not spend any extra money on it by putting all sorts of extras on it like we did, or.........cut your losses straight away and sell it privately for as much as you can and then buy a LandCruiser or Nissan Patrol. We bought to a budget instead of buying the Landcruiser. Lost soooo much money when we finally gave in and traded it. We only got $9000.00 for it and had paid $23,000 for it 18 months previously. We also had gearbox problems in the first few months. Had to get a recon. Also the alternator bleep itself about 6 months after we bought it. We put expensive Mobil synthetic oil in the gearbox and diff to take the notchiness out of the gearchange. It definately worked but it was expensive. Hope you dont loose as much money as we did. Good luck.
AnswerID: 46102

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:39

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:39
I have a '97 Terrano 2 2.7 TDI .... couldn't be happier, tows a Track CT everywhere with ease.
FollowupID: 308187

Sponsored Links