Diesel Heater Problem

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 18:24
ThreadID: 103430 Views:2297 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. I have installed an Eberspacher D2 diesel heater in our Newlands Onyx caravan, fitting it under the bed. I am reasonably handy at things but have never done anything like this before. It all went well, the job taking longer than expected but overall I was happy with the finished installation. Upon commissioning there was a minor problem with the wiring to the Mini-controller but this was soon rectified and it finally fired up. The problem I have is that it doesn't cut back when the caravan heats up, it still roars away at full throttle. I thought it was because it was drawing cool air in from around the bed so I got a fan heater and directed the hot air at the intake for a while. Still roaring away merrily, no difference at all. I purchased it from an Ebay seller in England so I don't know how much technical assistance I will get from them. I thought I would put my problem out in front of you Forum people and see if anyone has had a similar experience. Thanks.
Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PeterInSa - Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 20:20

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 20:20
Geoff
I do not have D2, have a Snugger.
Where do you have the control? is it up by your bed head, ie in a place where the control, to me that has the thermo in it will turn back the heat when the unit warms up.

It could be that one of the control wires broke during the install.

I would also turn down the unit to very low to see if it slows down after the van warms up.

I would also contact the seller for help.

Peter
AnswerID: 515450

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff P (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 22:11

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 22:11
Hi Peter, according to the instructions the thermostat is inside the heater air intake. You may have a point with checking the wires because the mini-controller has no effect on the thermostat. Thanks for your thoughts.
Geoff
FollowupID: 794733

Reply By: Member - willawa - Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 21:58

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 21:58
Geoff P
Are you recurculating the air from inside your van or drawing the cool air from the outside?
If you are drawing air from out side you will need an 'external sensor' that needs to be installed in the line that goes to the mini-controller and isolate the resistor that is on the same line.
The sensor needs to be located in the van as it acts as thermostat.
As your unit is basically the same as a Webasto the foregoing should be mentioned in the installation instructions you should have received with the unit.
If you are recerculating the air from inside the fresh air intake must not be near the hot air outlet as it draws hot air from the outlet.
If you still need additional info. Google 'Webasto installation instructions' where you will find details re the sensor.There is small modification to this that I can explain if required.

Good luck
Cheers

AnswerID: 515456

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff P (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 22:40

Saturday, Jul 27, 2013 at 22:40
Hi willawa, The air intake is under the bed, there is a 1 inch gap around the underside of the bed frame that the air can enter the storage space. From what I have read, the digital controller has got the thermostat inside the unit, a much better idea. But expensive. I guess I may have to get one in the end if that is the problem. Is the Webasto external sensor suitable for use on my unit? I will have a look at the Webasto instructions and see if I can learn anything from that. I will check the wires to the mini-controller first, they did get pulled around a bit. Thanks for your suggestions.
Geoff
FollowupID: 794738

Follow Up By: Member - willawa - Sunday, Jul 28, 2013 at 13:55

Sunday, Jul 28, 2013 at 13:55
Geoff
May be you should e-mail the people you purchased from.
I bought mine from >www.butlertechnik.com < in the UK who are both
Eberspacher & Webasto dealers.
I found them most helpful and happy to give advice especially with regards to the modifications with the sensor.

Regards
FollowupID: 794773

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff P (VIC) - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 18:25

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 18:25
Hi willawa, I purchased mine from get4less_shop in England, I was happy with the price and a pretty quick delivery ( considering the distance ) so if after checking to see if the wiring is correct and still no go I will email them and see if they can help. Thanks again.
Geoff
FollowupID: 794846

Reply By: Russ J1 - Sunday, Jul 28, 2013 at 18:11

Sunday, Jul 28, 2013 at 18:11
G'day Geoff,
I just installed a D2 in my camper, I found I had to leave one set of wires in the controller plug unconnected (5 of the 6 wires are connected) for the d2 to work correctly. I cant remember which colour wire it was, but if you are still having trouble repost and I will go have a look and let you know. Regards Russ
AnswerID: 515496

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff P (VIC) - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 18:51

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 18:51
Hi Russ, Yearh, the wires to the controller were tricky ( for me! ). Didn't look at the diagram close enough and didn't connect the fifth wire ( the Yellow/Violet to Brown/White wires ). It wouldn't fire up at all. So I now have the above wires and the following connected- Red to Red, Yellow to Yellow, Grey/Red to Grey and ( here might be my problem ) Brown to Brown. The diagram shows a Brown/White wire coming off the Brown/White and going to the Brown. I was tempted to do this but thought I would ask a few questions first. From what I can see the are both earth connections so can't see the problem if I do. Thanks Russ.
Geoff
FollowupID: 794848

Sponsored Links