Binns Track Info Needed

Hello folks:
After reading an interesting article in a magazine about the Binns Track, my wife and I have decided to go up and have a look.
I have pulled up most of the blogs here and read through those, as well as downloaded a stack of other stuff on the Internet. I even bouth a touring guide from the Exploroz Shop. One piece of info that I cannot find is whether I can get through it all with a camper trailer.
I have a 1991 Toyota Landcruiser (normally aspirated) diesel, and planning on towing a TVan (Canning). The Landcruiser is a slug, but just keeps going and going.
If need by I can drop the Tvan along the way and 'tent' it, but all the info I have read does not give me much of an idea on whether we can get through. I don't want it to be a trip where we are continually getting out of soft sand etc.
Very interested in hearing the thoughts of those that have been through it in recent times.
As usual, my thanks in advance.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: andoland - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 13:26

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 13:26
I've been on the Binns track south from Alice Springs and it is a good, graded track. Some corrugations but nothing that will trouble your landcruiser with camper trailer in tow.
AnswerID: 515536

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 14:38

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 14:38
Much obliged. Thanks for that. We will kick off at Mt Dare and see what happens after that.
Cheers
Jack

FollowupID: 794829

Reply By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 13:40

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 13:40
Jack, Binns Track is a track in many different parts. The parts vary according to terrain so you will need to be specific as to what parts you are interested in doing. We actually bought a book with all the sections on the track "Binns Track" by Outback Travellers by Greg and Josie Walker. It isn't easy to follow if you were doing it in reverse.

Some parts are, we are told deep sand, but others we towed our Bushtracker along just a few weeks ago. Parts were narrow and rocky, others we travelled were two vehicles wide.

We did another section three years ago with a Kimberley Karavan. The previous rain conditions count with those sorts of things, as I know that one river was running fast one day, but near dry the next day.

It really comes back a bit to experience, and your willingness to have your tyres to the appropriate pressures to cope with sand. We previously had our KK into the Simpson, though not on that trip, having travelled from Poeppel Corner to Birdsville, yes over Big Red, though up the chicken track
AnswerID: 515539

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 14:37

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 14:37
Hi John.
Thanks for that. We will just keep going until we think the conditions are too difficult. If I can spend a day or two at the Policeman's Waterhole I will be happy.

I note your good points about tyre pressures. We will be keeping an eye on that.

Again, thanks.

Jack

FollowupID: 794828

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 15:32

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 15:32
Jack, we have done that piece recently, including into Old Police Station Waterhole. We didn't spend a lot of time there as there was a schedule to come back. That was the piece we did towing the Bushtracker. You shouldn't find it difficult.

Some years ago some friends had thought of camping there, but had been warned off as there was a 'secret women's business' meeting on and a spearing was mentioned if they offended, for the hubby.
FollowupID: 794832

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 16:15

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 16:15
:-)
Sounds like just being at home. I might not need to go away after all.
Thanks again.

Jack

FollowupID: 794836

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 23:14

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 23:14
Jack

I haven't towed anything along Binn's Track, but most of it would be pretty easy.

The tricky section might be the southern end between Andado and Mount Dare. There is quite a bit of soft sand through wooded flood plains.

The section between AS and the Sandover Hwy is pretty straight forward. The Bundy River crossing is easier than it looks. North to the Davernport Range section is easy. The Gregory NP section is easy.

Go for it Jack.

Bob
AnswerID: 515583

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 16:55

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 16:55
Thank you, Bob. Yes. we will head off and only turn back if it is not looking too safe. We are travelling solo, and I will have a sat phone, so we won't perish.
Appreciate your input as well.
Cheers
Jack

FollowupID: 794901

Sponsored Links