What socket is this & what plug will fit it?

Submitted: Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 17:04
ThreadID: 103459 Views:3061 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have this 12mm ID socket on the exterior of my 3rd hand camper trailer. It has a spring loaded weather protection cap that covers it. I would like to know if anyone can tell me... 1) what type of socket it is... 2) what type of plug goes into it.... 3) I'm assuming it is a power outlet.... is it? If it is a power outlet, could i run my 40L Engel fridge from it?

I'll attempt to attach a photo of what the inside of the socket looks like - sorry that its a bit blurry.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 17:33

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 17:33
That is a standard "Merit" plug which are a step up from cig plugs.

Yes they are good to run Engel by.

Just need to understand what battery is on the other end of the wire

Alan
AnswerID: 515548

Reply By: WBS - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 17:33

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 17:33
Looks a bit like a Merit type plug but I can't be sure. These can be purchased at most auto parts store fore around $10.

WBS
AnswerID: 515549

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 17:45

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 17:45
Tommygee,

Posters above have said what type of socket it is.

The matching plug is the 82106BL or 82108BL listed in this link.

The 82108BL is the better one, I'd go for that.

Any auto accessories shop should carry them or be able to order them for you. (Repco, Peps and Supercheap etc)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 515550

Follow Up By: Member - tommygee - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 19:22

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 19:22
Thanks to all for shedding the light. Are merit & hella sockets one in the same - this has confused me during my google searching?

I have a single Deep cycle 100Ah battery on the campers draw bar which at present gets charged while I'm driving. Engel is being powered by the car's dual battery whilst driving.

At the campsite the Engel was to be transferred from back of Hilux to outside the CT .... only to find i had nothing to connect it to... derr. I now know i have this Merit socket & an Anderson plug on the CT exterior of which I should be able to connect the Engel to. The Engel cord has one of those 2 pin screw on plugs.

I'll probably choose to run some strip lighting from the Merit socket & run the Engel (possibly x2 Engels at times) from the Anderson plug. Are there adaptors that have 1-2 Engel ends onto 1 Anderson plug which would then go into the CT Anderson plug?

If anyone has any other suggestions... appreciated.

Cheers
FollowupID: 794849

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 20:02

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 20:02
Merit, Hella and Narva are interchangeable.

I don't know about those adapters. If you can't find one it would be easy to make your own. Two "Engel ends" wired positive to positive and negative to negative, joined at an Anderson should do it.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 794853

Follow Up By: Member - tommygee - Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 20:30

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 at 20:30
Arrrr.... the muddy waters have cleared. If only I had put this question up earlier. I've literally wasted days trying to nut it out myself.

As for making my own adaptors.... what wiring would you recommend? Remember you are speaking to a beginner.
Cheers
FollowupID: 794856

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 09:36

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 09:36
You should be able to find everything you needhere.

It's all polarity sensitive, ie you have to get the positive and negative on the right pins. If you are not confident about DIY, then I suggest you take the project to a knowledgeable mate to do it for you, or to an auto electrician.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 794872

Sponsored Links