water proof bags

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 13:28
ThreadID: 10346 Views:1738 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
For a little extra protection to the car interior I wish to store liquid containers in some sort of large plastic bags.
I have tested a couple of brands including the"orange colured" tuff bags, but they leak when filled with a small amount of water.
I plan to carry on floor in back seat 2- 10lt plastic gerry cans, 10lt of various oils.
I look forward to usual good feed back this site provides.
Regards
Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 06:14

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 06:14
Joe a good Quality Plastic jerry can should not leak.
I carry my oils in the plastic containers they come in and the same with brake fluids etc.
I also wrap some grey duct tape around the lids so they dont rattle lose and to date not had a problem.

All the best
Eric
www.capeyorkconnections.com.auCape York Connections
AnswerID: 45807

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 08:48

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 08:48
Eric's right.

But if you really want to pursue the plastic bag idea, try some 'dry-bags' they are intended to keep water out but will be more than capable of keeping liquid in.

They come in a variety of sizes and can be obtained from camping, dive, and most good sports stores.
AnswerID: 45814

Reply By: Rojac - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:38

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:38
Have you tried those plastic tubs, I carry 2x20litre plastic gerry cans for water, engine oil, atf, grease etc in one in the back and if it leaks its contained.

Cheers

Rob
AnswerID: 45827

Follow Up By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 12:00

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 12:00
Out of interest.

With brake fluid being as volatile as it is, is there any other automotive fluid that it shouldn't be stored with.

I'm thinking that coolant and possibly windscreen washer with brake fluid would be a bad idea

FollowupID: 307840

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 12:30

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 12:30
I carry brake fluid and gear oil in the engine bay. I also carry spare hoses and a spare belt in the engine bay tied on with cable ties. My engine bay has a lot less paraphenalia than modern cars so I can do these things. Works well. Spare engine oil is carried in the back of the truck plus 2x20lts plastic jerries for water, 2x20lt plastic jerries for petrol and 4x20lt steel jerries for petrol.

Cheers,Willem
Out on the Gibber
FollowupID: 307845

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 12:56

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 12:56
Willem....

Personally I wouldnt store brake fluid and gear oil in the engine bay....
I recently saw a TV programme (possibly Craig Wings one) which showed a vehicle fire in NZ where a car had a 'small' electrical fire under the bonnet...by the time the coppers, fire brigade, driver managed to get the bonnett open it was a "BIG" fire. It wasnt until the bonnett was opened did everyone realise why the fire was so intense...the guy had stored all sorts if stuff in the engine bay...including spare oil etc...I do admit he had a heap more as well but the point I make is valid.....he was doubly shocked a few weeks later when the insurance company declined his claim too..evidently they had some clause about a need to 'take all due care' or some such and they didnt consider placing oil etc in the engine bay qualified.

FollowupID: 307848

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 19:27

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 19:27
KiwiAngler....

I take your point. I only carry a litre of each and right high up near the firewall. The old truck also has large airvents on the side of the bonnet and the engine runs very cool. I would not advocate carrying these liquids in the engine bay of modern vehicles. As far as insurance goes I do not have comprehensive insurance. If it burns I will have to dig into my own pocket. The truck is worht very little but the toys inside are worth something:-)

Cheers,
Willem
Out on the Gibber
FollowupID: 307869

Reply By: rolande- Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 13:30

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 13:30
Joe,
you could try www.whitworths.com.au, they have some "waterproof" bags for boats, may be something that suits
Rolande
AnswerID: 45868

Reply By: Roachie - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 09:52

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 09:52
Joe,
I was just looking over an old copy of 4x4 Austrlia mag sitting on the throne (as you do) and I saw an ad for "Boot Bagz" from a mob called "Andy Strapz", sold thru ARB. They are designed for putting dirty/wet stuff in, so I guess they may be another option. Not sure on price, but probably would be pretty exy.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 45955

Follow Up By: Joe - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:24

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:24
Thanks Everyone,
I followed up on most ideas and was getting nowhere, so I called into Mitre 10, they had in stock "Glad Stand up Bags" by far tougher than anything to date found at Bunnings and supermarkets.. At home filled it with 6 lt water no problems. Dose not snag and tear/puncture easily.
Due to it's "stand up" design,wide opening,wide base its very effective.
Thanks
Joe
FollowupID: 307956

Sponsored Links