Normanton to Borroloola - Road Conditions??

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 09:38
ThreadID: 103467 Views:2595 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anybody done this trip recently?
If so, what is the condition of the roads?
Thanks.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 15:08

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 15:08
About six weeks ago the roads were not bad really Shaker. I thought better on the NT side of the border initially than that section, but when we headed for Lorella Springs I lost that opinion.

Some roadworks taking place West of Doomadgee, you best be well off on the detour for. I had heard from a friend staying in Alice Springs that a fellow with a caravan had some substantial damage from being more than close to a road roller.

Just low tyre pressures and adjust or vary your speed to the conditions
AnswerID: 515597

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 16:40

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 16:40
We are planning on calling into Lorella Springs for a few days, I believe the grader is operating between Normanton & Burketown at the moment, which may cause a problem or two with sharp rocks.
Main reason I was asking was that due to circumstances we left our Vista Crossover at home & we are towing our "off road" caravan!

FollowupID: 794900

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 14:44

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 14:44
came through a week ago, from Perth to the cape, the road to burktown is not to bad, normal holes ect but reasonable, the road from Doomadgee to the nt border is average and from there to Borroloola is bad, it also has some rocky sections with sharp small rocks so take it easy as you probally will get tyre damage, they are working on one section and we had to straddle the piles of dirt to get past and they had a lot of sticks in the dirt and we did have a hole in one tyre when we got to Hells Gate, let your tyres down as it is also badly corrugated ....
We have a stock std 100 series and a camper trailer, just a basic "non flash" unit ...
Cheers and have fun
Joe
AnswerID: 515658

Sponsored Links