Anne beadell hwy

We are in coober pedy and wondering if we should continue on our planned trip of the Anne beadell. We've heard some horror stories of recovered vehicles ! Have they been travelling too fast with tyre pressures incorrect? Has anyone done this trip lately or planning to go soon? We are here for 2 more days any info appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 19:43

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 19:43
Hi Lyncol

The Anne Beadell Highway is only as bad as the driver wants to make it. Drive to the conditions, keep your tyre pressures down and it is a fantastic drive. We have done it a number of times and in fact will be out there again very, very soon.

If you work on a minimum of 7 days, longer is even better to get from Coober Pedy through to Laverton. Yes, I have heard horror stories for damaged vehicles, but it would all come down to how your vehicle is set up, the condition of components on your vehicle and be prepared for some good corrugations. The key is to make regular stops, as there is far more to see out there than most people are aware of.

Give Ilkurlka a call to let them know that you are coming through, just to make sure they are around.

Enjoy one of the Outbacks great drives and you will be glad that you made the effort.

Cheers

Stephen

here are some images of what there is out there.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 515617

Follow Up By: Lyncol - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 14:25

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 14:25
Thanks all for your appreciated info, this was our planned trip and we WILL stay with it. We are in a 120 series diesel Prado with a SA made Adventure offroad camper, we had new shocks fitted before our trip started, and hopefully everything else is in good condition. We will take it easy and enjoy the wonderful scenery and post a blog on the other side.
Thanks again
Lyncol
FollowupID: 794953

Follow Up By: Lyncol - Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 20:31

Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 20:31
Well what a wonderful trip we had. The scenery and wildlife was awesome. If anyone has any future plans to travel the ABH they should do it, we kept low tyre pressures and low speed (20kph avg) took our time and enjoyed the wonderful sights. We are now in Laverton heading for home and are already planning our next desert trip.
FollowupID: 795637

Reply By: DBN05 (tas) - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 20:15

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 20:15
Evening Lyncol,

Do not put it off do the ABH you should love it. Do what Stephen said drive to the conditions drop your tyre pressure down ( had my tyres down till it had a footprint of 250mm that is 250mm of tyre on the ground.)
Take your time enjoy the drive stop and let the shockies cool down, that is the time to boil the billy and take photos.
Spend a day at Ilkurika and enjoy the hot shower and relax.
Stephen's photos show it as it is--- A Great Drive

Harvey (DBN05 Tas )
I NEVER get lost, but don't i see a lot of NEW places.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 515622

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 20:25

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 20:25
Hi Lyncol, Stephens pix give a good overview of the scenery which is fantastic. I will be a little negative in the eyes of some by saying the next bit. Last Sept we found that from Coober Pedy to the start of the Tallaringa Conservation Park the track was good but that Park has probably NEVER been graded since Len Beadell put it in 60 years ago. I went in with tyres too high at 28 psi all round on Pathfinder and camper. The corrugations are relentless. After 100km of it we turned back. We had other options so went to the Gawler Ranges instead. See my blog.
I lowered pressure to 24ish and got that flub, flub, flub sound. The ride improved but I had to try and do 50 - 60kmh to ride over the corros. The trees are very close to the track so it was an energy draining ride having to concentrate. This year we did wells 5 to 22 on the Canning and there was nothing there anywhere near as bad as the ABH. We met a bloke at well 6 in a 1 year old Ford ranger who was a bit grumpy. He had just done the last 600km of the ABH at 20kmh as he had damaged his rear suspension.
Others have said that if we had done another 100km the ABH would improve. I'm in no hurry to do it again but who knows..... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 515624

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:00

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:00
Warrie

I think there is no speed on corrugations that is kind to the vehicle, or the fillings in your teeth. The 'speed up and ride over the corrugation' theory might make the ride seem better for a while, but puts incredible stress on the shocks.
My recollection of speeds on the ABH (five trips) is that it is mostly less than 40 kph. I took the LX470 once. Set suspension to 'soft' and you wouldn't know the road was corrugated at all.
In case you are planning another trip out that way, the Gunbarrell is much worse.

Bob
FollowupID: 794940

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 21:35

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2013 at 21:35
Yep, plenty of horror stories. The corrugations are some of the worst you'll get in Australia. But some people like myself go out there as often as we can. The GVD is our favourite desert - it's a pristine botanic garden - has nice clean sand, has the best camping with quality firewood, and if it rains, you don't get flooded out or stuck in bad mud. All this and you hardly find a tourist!

We've been out there with groups of many vehicles most years. Nobody likes corrugations but to make them bearable, and to keep our vehicles in one piece, we are never in a hurry - if you drive slowish with say 18/24 psi in your tyres, you do a lot better than those who have this crazy theory that driving fast smooths out the corrugations. If you drive fast, you'll shake your car to pieces and break stuff.

Its very remote country - and on many occasions, tourists have been unable to get anyone to come out and fetch them. So you have to be totally self-sufficient and good emergency comms - HF radio and satphone. For this reason, I like to do it in the company of other vehicles, that takes a lot of the stress out of it - you share any concerns or problems - and you'll enjoy the trip even more.
AnswerID: 515629

Reply By: Member - Timnivo - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:05

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:05
G'day All. I travelled across the ABH in the middle of June. My vehicle is a stretched 200 series trayback with a piggyback camper.There are some extremely corrugated parts through the Unnamed (Mumungari) CP and around EMU. Some people were waiting with a busted Quantum Camper while the owner did the round trip to Kalgoorlie to make a new suspension arm!! I do not believe that there is any speed above 10kmh that can smooth out those corrugations. On the worst of them I just went for low 1st and just idled along, window down and enjoyed the scenery!! Tyres around 20psi. It really is a case of the tortoise beating the hare out there, especially when travelling solo as I was.The track improves between WA Border and Ikurlka, and is a superhighway between Ilkurka and Neales Junction. Some rough bits between NJ and Laverton. Was muddy on Mabel Creek back then on the Coober Pedy end, but solid enough under the water.
Interestingly I met a couple in a rather overloaded Nissan Xtrail on the Laverton end who were going to Coober Pedy!! Whilst I'm sure a lightly loaded, well driven Xtrail could do it, I was a bit concerned. I hope they made it OK. Regards Timnivo.
AnswerID: 515640

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 12:40

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2013 at 12:40
Hi,
We did the ABH a few years ago now.
Yes, the Horrogations are bad particularly nearing Emu.
I suspect they're even worse now!
We spent 2 days at around 10 ks per hour but the road does get better the closer you get to W.A.
Once in W.A. it really improves.
The locals have set up a couple of beaut shelters which helped us when a storm came through one night.
The scenery is magic & the campsites good.
This is a very pretty trip & has some trees nearer the Laverton end which are specific only to the GVD. Just take it easy, if you've had enough of the Horros just pullover for a while it is well worth it if you love Desert scenery. Low tyre pressures & check nuts & bolts regularly.
Take tape, we'd just had a new wind screen fitted & ended up putting tape around it to help hold it in.
Great trip into the plain wreck with some good dunes & perfumed trees when we were there.
We loved it & would do it again. Laverton is a very basic place.
Take care, safe travels Ma.
FollowupID: 794952

Sponsored Links