Dept of Parks & Wildlife (WA) newsletter

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 09:55
ThreadID: 103497 Views:1582 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Received this yesterday.

In it is some usefull information if you are an existing camp volunteer or if you wish to become a volunteer. The Depatment is currently looking for camp hosts in a number of enticing locations.

There is also a link to a new free smart phone app relating to aboriginal stories by the Nyoongar people and other interesting aboriginal facts.

Enjoy the read

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Derek Jones - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 14:04

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 14:04
From time to time I have thought about becoming a DPaW Camp Host when I pack up my pencils and paper and hit the road.

Be very interested in hearing about the good, the bad and the ugly from anyone who has done the Camp Host thingy.
AnswerID: 515714

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 14:35

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 14:35
Been camp hosting for 8 years now and found nothing i rated as bad. Certainly things that needed to be changed, but hey, everything changes over time for various reasons. If there is ever a problem just walk away and call in to the dept on radio to come and deal with it. For example someone operating a generator in a non generator area after hours. i went and requested they turn off or move to correct area. Guy went off his face so just said, as I left on my bike, if still running when I get back to my camp will call ranger. I call back to wife with small CB radio with rego etc before I talk to anyone. That way the offender is well aware the situation has been advised up the line. the more agro some is the further I sop away from them. Generally not many problems provided you keep calm and polite.

Neil
AnswerID: 515715

Follow Up By: Derek Jones - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 15:41

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 15:41
Hi Neil,

Thanks for your comments - figured the odd 'Joe Public' would/could be an issue from time to time. Comes with the territory.

Also be interested in what resources/if any DPaW provide you - I assume you are largely responsible for your own gear.

I noticed their website indicates Hosts must have 'fire' and 'first aid' training. I can tick both of these boxes very easily as I am a local Fire Control Officer and am getting First Aid Training this year as part of my FCO role.

Also be interested in hearing how difficult (or not) it is to get into the more preferred localities.
FollowupID: 795027

Follow Up By: Neil & Pauline - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 20:01

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 20:01
What is provided varies on what area you are at. Al supply communication and most supply water and other supply things like fuel, generator, bread paper, grocery vouchers etc. We got on an plane ranger for a trip around Abrolas islands, off Geraldton.
We had a New year eve with 11 different nationalities as one interesting event.

Neil
FollowupID: 795108

Sponsored Links