Road Condition: Birdsville North to Boulia

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 27, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1035 Views:2908 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am travelling from Melbourne to Boulia in July and want to know the state of the road North from Birdsville to Boulia via Bedourie. If this road is too slow and rough then I will travel via the Matilda Highway instead.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MARK C - Saturday, Apr 27, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Apr 27, 2002 at 00:00
Paul, the road from Birdsville to Boulia is better than any of the lead up roads to Birdsville it is a rough gravel road but is constantly maintained and Bedourie is worth a lunch break at the pub,very friendly locals.
AnswerID: 3165

Follow Up By: Paul Davidson - Sunday, Apr 28, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 28, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Mark. I will give it a go.
FollowupID: 1272

Reply By: Ruth - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00
The road from Birdsville to Bedourie is just short of 200 klms and last Saturday the Main Roads sealed (first part of bitumen) another short section just north of Birdsville. There are now several sections of bitumen to Bedourie. Stop at the Royal Hotel in Bedourie or the Simpson Desert Oasis Roadhouse - have a swim in the new spa/pool complex in Bedourie. From Bedourie to Boulia is a good road with approximately 85 klms of bitumen now finished. There is a good (with grass) caravan park on the banks of the river in Boulia (pay at the service station) and bitumen from there to Mt Isa or Winton. The road is definitely not too slow or too rough (that, of course, depends on your definition of slow or rough). Check your tyre pressures and make sure you don't travel with too high a pressure on the dirt roads - the tyre companies suggest high pressure but experience suggests a slightly lower pressure. It is easier to stick to the bitumen but you won't get the great experience of adventure on the dirt - drive carefully and read the road conditions. At Boulia make sure you visit the Min Min Light Centre also - it's great. Hope this helps you and I hope you enjoy your trip.
AnswerID: 3227

Reply By: Ruth - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00
Almost forgot - July is a long time away and road conditions can change in a matter of hours. Why not phone or email me closer to the time you leave home and I will tell you how the road is travelling. Also, if coming to Birdsville, contact the wirrarri Information Centre in Birdsville on (07) 46563300 and ask for one of their information packs - they can help with other areas as well including Bedourie and Boulia.
Ruth
AnswerID: 3228

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)