Speedy Wheel

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 16:38
ThreadID: 103501 Views:2281 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all, I decided to buy a second alloy spare for the LC VDJ79 GLX cab Chassis, Toyota wheels are too dear and the wreckers can't get them. If they do, $2000 a set of four one said. From here and other forum, I heard about the Speedy Wheels, the model Territory is pretty close to original. Came supplied with nuts, deep reach socket and it's own valve and trim. It will be a good second spare. A bonus, it has a load rating of 1400kg which is higher than the factory originals. Bought from local Bridgestone dealer for $185, over $40 cheaper than another well known tyre chain.
Anyone looking to upgrade to either 7 or 8 inch wide alloys could certainly consider these wheels. Check out the Speedy Australia web site.
Cheers, Col
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 18:28

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 18:28
Hi Col,
Started reading your post & a little bird inside my head was going .....load rating.... load rating & then reading further I see you say the Speedy Wheels have a higher load rating tham OE.... if that is the case ....terrific!..... but some where the same little bird is telling me I think I have read something on the LCOOL site that aftermarket wheels foul on the brake calipers.... but the aftermarket wheels are OK on a trailer or similar.... just my two bobs worth
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515722

Follow Up By: Colcam42 - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 18:53

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 18:53
Hi Tony, I did ask the tyre fitters to check wheel fit, after speaking to Speedy themselves, ( several emails) and the tyre guy said he had to check the fit before fitting a tyre, he said all is well. I guess the first time I need it, I will find out. However, Speedy said they fit, tyre man says OK, I will think about checking myself before heading off. Let you know. I'll post on Lcool and see what they say.
FollowupID: 795038

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 09:10

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 09:10
Main difference with the Speedy wheels is that they take the standard wheel nuts, not the ones with the washers that Toyota use on factory alloys.

But Speedy had to do some sort of a recall on the Territory wheels because the centre hole was a bit tight and the rim's weren't seating all the way down. All was fixed a few years ago, so you should be fine.
FollowupID: 795120

Follow Up By: Colcam42 - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 10:18

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 10:18
Hi Phil, thanks for that note. The original Toyota alloy wheels are always hard to get off of the front hubs anyway, a tight fit over the drive shaft flange. Quite a struggle sometime. With the wheel nuts, as I said, Speedy supplied them and the socket to suit. As a second spare, I'll be glad if I don't have to use it. Got it stacked up on the rack now so there it can stay.
Made up a simple lifting arm with a rope pulley hoist, only way I can get it onto the top of the canopy. still a two person job for us two old sods. I should post a picture,
Cheers,
FollowupID: 795122

Reply By: bluefella - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 18:28

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 18:28
Got my first set of chrome wheels from speedy for a FE holden in 1965, so been around a long time.
AnswerID: 515723

Sponsored Links