Petrol into a Diesel

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 21:12
ThreadID: 103507 Views:3091 Replies:10 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
A friend of mine has rang me tonight to tell me his wife filled his new 200 series with 105litres of petrol. She then drove it a round 5 klms to home without noticeing any problems. He went to put it in their garage and noticed it running strange so turned it off. Would it be a matter of draining the both fuel tanks and putting new diesel back in plus replacing the fuel filter and then pumping the new diesel fuel back up and through the filter or would it require more flushing than that? Many thanks for any info. Bob.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Brett I - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 21:15

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 21:15
Yes drain tanks, push fuel out of lines with air, bleed system start vehicle then let idle for about 10 mins.
AnswerID: 515739

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 21:33

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 21:33
Yes drain tanks.... but not that easy.... NO drain bungs/taps on tanks, you have to remove the tanks to drain :-( flush lines & change filter as previously mentioned
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 795050

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 22:19

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 22:19
Using some nylon airline tubing 1/4" = slow and 3/8 = quicker it is possible to work it down into the tank bottom, if no preventative screen or flap is there and syphoning can be effected. MUCH more better than removing the tanks.

Best to check if there is any obstructions to that process.
FollowupID: 795056

Reply By: DBN05 (tas) - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 21:26

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 21:26
evening Toyocrusa,

sorry to hear about your problems, first check your insurance if with AAMI I think you will find that they will fix it through their people they deal through.
Other than that drain all fuel out, clean all pipes filters etc fill up with clean fuel and all should be ok.

Good luck

Harvey (DBN05)
I NEVER get lost, but don't i see a lot of NEW places.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 515740

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 22:53

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 22:53
Most specifically exclude accidentally filling with wrong fuel but cover if supplied with dirty fuel
FollowupID: 795060

Follow Up By: DBN05 (tas) - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 15:13

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 15:13
Hi Fisho64,

Yes most do but I spoke to AAMI two weeks ago about dirty fuel as I'm heading off this BIG island for a trip to the one just north of us. They told me not only was dirty fuel covered but if I put in wrong fuel they will cover that too.
Toyocrusa a big thanks for trying to look after your mate as we need all the friends we can get. Look at my number plate you will understand.

Harvey DBN05
I NEVER get lost, but don't i see a lot of NEW places.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 795086

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 21:45

Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 21:45
G'day Bob
I agree, if only 5km and you can now drain and flush and totally clean out the system, all should be OK.

By turning the key on and off a number of times after the filter is bled it will flush all contaminated fuel in the lines through to the tank and that small amount with a fresh fill of diesel will then be ok.

If possible, it would be best for someone to drain the CRD fuel rail if possible and then after the refill and bleed of the supply side, some cranking will be required so the rail fills and pressurizes again with diesel and not the mix.
If you can't do this, the engine has to start and run at idle for a while until all the mix is used out of the high pressure injector pump and through all the injectors. Then it should run properly again.

Even though I fill my diesel I always hold the nozzle just into the filler neck so I can see the OILY liquid and the greenish tinge of colour in the fuel entering the tank, BEFORE I place the nozzle in the neck and fully fill up. Just a precautionary measure in case the delivery man puts petrol in the diesel tank at the servo.

Occasionally I sniff the nozzle to smell the diesel smell too. "AH, the smell of diesel in the morning", or was that Napalm.

Cheers
Ross M
AnswerID: 515741

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 13:12

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 13:12
200 series don't have a key unless it's a GX.

If it isn't a GX then it has a button that once pushed will keep cranking until it starts, most CRD don't have an electric fuel pump.
FollowupID: 795083

Reply By: Penchy - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 05:38

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 05:38
maybe think about getting rid of the wife too, they have no idea about technical car stuff.
AnswerID: 515743

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 06:35

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 06:35
She was just used to filling up her VW Tiguan
FollowupID: 795061

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 07:01

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 07:01
You will see a book for sale below called Toots.

I would have loved to have seen you say that to her when she was alive.
FollowupID: 795062

Follow Up By: Penchy - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 07:54

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 07:54
damn! Another missed opportunity.
FollowupID: 795063

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 06:32

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 06:32
Many thanks for all your advise. His wife has been through thick and thin with him as he is a Vietnam Vet and is a bit crook at the moment. She has a petrol VW Tiguan and thought she was doing the right thing. Poor lady has really taken it hard but he sure wont blame her. A friend used to do our local Police vehicle maintenance and it was a regular occurance when they first went to diesel vehicles. Anyway, today we will try draining and flushing the system as far as possible and see if we can get it going properly again. Thanks again to all suggesters. Bob.
AnswerID: 515745

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 08:20

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 08:20
The first thing I would do is call the insurance company. I know that mine is covered in that case. And with insurance companies, if you try to remedy it yourself, you often release them of any obligations.

A call to see if they are covered will cost 25c. Trying to fix it another way could cost over $20,000 based on another poster's experience.

FollowupID: 795066

Reply By: Steve D1 - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 07:40

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 07:40
Hi there. Last one of these we did, ( granted was driven about 50K's, until it stopped )
$22,000 bill.
All injectors, Pump, Common rails, pipes changed. Plus the usual tank flush, filters etc.
Hopefully not so bad with this one.
Steve
AnswerID: 515746

Reply By: Erad - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 08:18

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 08:18
Very sorry to hear about the problem. I have heard of this a few times before, but always a man, not his wife filling his vehicle with petrol. I doubt that my wife will do this because she never fills my car (rarely does her's either). However, we have 2 cars with differing fuel requirements for each one...

It was for this very reason that I painted the inside of the fuel filler area with bright orange paint. With the flap door closed, all is normal - white paint. Open the door and WHAM! - you are hit in the face with a huge splash of orange, with a little patch of white in the middle saying "diesel fuel only". I am not immune to stuffing things up, and I am sure that my wife is not either. Simple precaustion. Hope I never get to that situation...
AnswerID: 515748

Reply By: Member - w B (WA) - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 08:21

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 08:21
I have done the same with a 200 Series.Take the delivery hose off the fuel filter.Run a longer delivery hose off into a drum.Then pressurise the fuel tank ie just put an air hose into the fuel tank filler, seal at best you can with rag and the air will pump the petrol out the delivery line to your drum.No problems.
Nugget

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515749

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 19:58

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 19:58
Hi w B. I have had to use the air pressure method in the past when the fuel filter plunger pump would not work after a filter change so I will try it again. The two tanks only have one filler which may create a bit of an obstacle but I'm sure we can overcome it. Had to wait today for the vehicle to be transported from my friend's garage so it will be a weekend job now. Thanks for your suggestion. Bob.
FollowupID: 795107

Reply By: NTVRX - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:18

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:18
Hi Toyocrusa, I put $20 of unleaded into my diesel 4 yrs ago when Caltex had all their pump handles black. Drove vehicle for about 2Km when it stopped. Lucky for me vehicle was travelling on low fuel light which means 10 ltrs of diesel....I had vehicle towed to next fuel station & filled up with diesel.....60+ litres.....all well until summer time. I activated the a/cond....vehicle idled like a V8 Holden with a full race cam!!! Took vehicle to Mitsubishi Guru who confirmed damaged....injector pump.....price to replace $5,500.00.....decided to trade in vehicle. Good luck
AnswerID: 515792

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 06:32

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 06:32
The 200 is now back on the road and running as if nothing happened, with a very happy Wife (and owner) I removed the driver side rear wheel and mudguard inner lining to access. Removed the flexible fuel hose at the filler spout on both tanks. (both were chock full of course) managed to get a syphon hose in and drain both tanks (one at a time) around 140 litres. Put 40 litres of clean diesel in, used the pump on the filter to suck it through and flush the line. Replaced the fuel filter element, sucked diesel through to the pump inlet pipe and refitted the lines. Started it up on idle,ran a bit rough for a minute or so and then smoothed out. Left it idling while I reassembled the inner rear guard and mudflap. Refitted the wheel and went for a run. All good and boy have those things got some grunt. I reckon it would give my V8 VS commodore ute a run and it's no slouch either. Thanks for all your support. Bob.
AnswerID: 515981

Sponsored Links