starter motor

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 01, 2013 at 23:26
ThreadID: 103509 Views:2335 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G, day all, I have just had my starter motor replaced in my 2008 troopy v8. $1, 900 thanks
I submerged the vehicle in Nolan brook for 1.5 minutes and it was enough to turn the brushes to mush it got me to Bendigo where it gave up.
I got a tow start and drove to mount gambier where I had it replaced by Noel Barr Toyota. Fyi their service and help was very good.
The major cost was the removal and replacement as the starter is located on top of the gear box behind the motor, all the top of the engine had to come off to get to it. $750 for parts rest was labour.
I tried to claim on insurance but they declined the claim as they said it s a sealed unit so it must be wear and tear. I saw the photos when they pulled it out and puddle of water came out when it was opened. They have heard of other units doing the same as the starter is wrapped in aheat proof foam that holds water and corrodes the unit.
Cheers
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 08:47

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 08:47
John,
I have a 94 troopy and a 2004 100 series, both diesel and great vehicles. When the new 200 v8 was released I was inclined to update until I had a good look at the engine design. The starter motor I could not find at first and was staggered when told where it is and the alternator low down ready for mud and grit. As we travel in more remote areas it was enough to make me keep my existing vehicles.
Toyota have extensive engineering capacity, how and why they did not do a better design defies me.
By contrast we recently bought a Subaru Forester for around town and on opening the bonnet was impressed to see all the ancilliary items easy to access. Yes a different sort of vehicle but it demonstrates forethought and fit for purpose design.
Cheers
AnswerID: 515751

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 13:02

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 13:02
Because they cater for the 10's of thousands who will never have a problem...... not the few who do.

But I know where you are coming from, I was shocked how hard it is to get the pistons and crank out. LOL

We see faults on all sorts of vehicles, what may be hard on something to remove and replace; may be easy on something else and vise versa.

Was the difficulty in removing the starter the only thing that stopped you upgrading?
FollowupID: 795081

Follow Up By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:51

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:51
Olcoolone,
It was the general disappointment of things like the alternator and the fact that the overall package did not seem a big step forward from my 100 series given I had to pay over $100k for it. The changeover would have been $60k+ and my 100 had less than 100k km on it.

I have since driven a 200 with KDS and admit it drives well but I found I had to have an expensive suspension upgrade from new to have the same payload I have in my 100 which has a slightly upgrade suspension.

I know/have met many people who now have 200s and most seem happy with them especially for towing. I lost the enthusiasm to changeover and am staying with the 100 until i need to change. At the (disappointingly) low number of trips I am doing it will probably see me out. I am currently home building an Earthcuiser like vehicle on an Isuzu NPS300 4wd truck which will become our expedition vehicle if it turns out as well as I hope.

cheers and sorry to John for the short diversion.
FollowupID: 795095

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 10:27

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 10:27
WE went through the same thing regarding suspension, but what we did find out was it didn't matter what 4x4 you have; they all have about the same carrying capacity...... I would say 90% of the 4x4's on the road travelling would be over weight.

We had two options when we did the upgrade, both using identical components from Lovell...... one that can carry more weight but not complied and the other complied. Price difference between to two was about $1400-$1600. We could of got the non compiled version fitted for around the $1300 mark; ours has KDSS.

The price difference between all suspension upgrades was on par and KDSS had nothing to do with the price.

Any vehicle you want to increase the GVM on will have a premium attached to it for paperwork.
FollowupID: 795124

Follow Up By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 15:26

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 15:26
I think things are better sorted now and more competition. When I looked it was less than 1 year after the release of the 200 and several suspension companies were not offering upgrades for vehicles with KDSS as they said they were having issues. The standard suspension was ok.

I have a general policy of never buying a vehicle less than 2 years after a major model change but was keen at the time. My enthusiasm evaporated (as did the $s) and as said above I have now moved on to a different project as we are getting older and want a bit more comfort.

cheers
FollowupID: 795138

Reply By: Krooznalong - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 12:57

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 12:57
Why not try to get a technical letter from NB Toyota stating what caused the problem - and then go back to insurance.
AnswerID: 515773

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 17:36

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 17:36
John have a look at this thread number 74985.

AnswerID: 515799

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 21:37

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 21:37
Surely Toyota can fit a bilge pump to the starter area. Just pump it out often after a wash or a swim.
AnswerID: 515819

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 08:53

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 08:53
Gday Ross,
Filling up the V with no more gaps might be cheaper :-)
But the problem of water sitting in the V and corroding the starter motor was addressed by Toyota and the V now drains by itself! Only the early V8's have the issue. But, I rarely wash my motor - and certainly won't with the V8.
FollowupID: 795119

Sponsored Links