Creating storage space in back of hilux

Submitted: Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 00:42
ThreadID: 103510 Views:2163 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all. I have a 97 twin cab hilux that I recently purchased an old flexiglass canopy for. It now has enough space for me to put most of my camping gear in but would like to possibly organise things a bit better. I don't want to put any kind of shelving or raised floor in it, no need really. I want to try and store a few things up higher if possible , fishing rods, single blow up mats, rubber ground mats, just light stuff. As there is about 250 mm between the top of the canopy side windows and the roof, I was thinking maybe either epoxying some hooks along the sides about the windows which I could maybe strap/velcro stuff up high, or even put some light weight rails from side to side just above side windows so I could slide stuff on top of them.

I'm really just thinking out loud, I'm not that sure what my options are. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Grant
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 09:38

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 09:38
You are limited in length with the dual cab try but that just means you dont have to reach so far.

remember too that with dual cabs it is all too easy to put too much weight beyond the rear axle and to overload the rear axle with relativly small amounts of weight.

what is very common is for people to replace the sliding or fixed windows with hatches to allow direct access to stuff.
the mod that commonly accompanies that is the fixing of a shelf / box set up the width on the wheel well......there are all sort of combinations of this that can include battery boxes, water tanks, toll boxes and storage pockets.

the problem with storing anything high in the flexiglass and similar canopies is that they have very little inherant strength

To put a meaningfull roof rack on one of these things, some sort of internal or external hoop structure has to be contrived.

One trick that I stole off my brother is ceiling mounted fishing rod storage.

I have two bars across the interior roof of my canopy...one bar has plastic electrical saddles that takes the handles of the rods, the second bar has elastic tornau tiedowns and buttons with fuzzy padding to secure the shaft of the rod.
I have an 8 foot canopy..so I can store a good variety of shorter rods whole with the reels fitted and rigged and a mid length surf rod broken down, all inside.

cheers
AnswerID: 515756

Follow Up By: grunta1970 - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 10:16

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 10:16
You are right Bantam, they is not a lot of strength in the canopy at all so I would be very weary of storing anything heavy using canopy as support. I have more than enough room in canopy for camping gear, but don't like having to shuffle stuff around to get to things hence wanting to maximise space
FollowupID: 795074

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 11:16

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 11:16
I'm very much in favour of stackable crates.

remember all those light weight canopies leak both water and dust so crates with lids are a good thing.

One thing to strongly consider is tie down points..off road ya realy need to be able to tie down things solidly.

I thaught about aircraft tracking......untill I found out how much they want for the stuff.

so I got stuck in and had a big drilling session with some heavy angle.

if you get lots of anchorages with big washers over the full length of the tray the light weight of the metal its made of is not so much of a problem in getting a good strong tie down.

cheers
FollowupID: 795078

Reply By: Member - Coldee - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 19:27

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 19:27
I went to Bunnings to buy some plastic tubs that I put the kitchen, first aid, tools and other gear in. They have latchable lids. Under $10 each. Stack up and should keep out most dust. Can get some with wheels.
I did build a false floor out of ply and slide the boxes under there. It also has hatches so I can access stuff through the side hatch windows. Just tarps, ground sheets and light stuff go there, but the boxes work with or without the false floor. ( I just put the floor in to create a flat bunk space if required without emptying or moving the tools etc.)

Another cheap idea is a poly sewer pipe. Glue a fixed end on one end and a screw end on the other. Good for rods or poles or other stuff. Pretty dust proof. It is possible to put a lock on it. (I used a shed hasp and staple latch) and the pipe went on the roof racks. Took a few heavy knocks. In the end the pipe snapped but the rods were fine.
AnswerID: 515808

Reply By: Batt's - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 12:32

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 12:32
Maybe you could hang an elastic cargo net from the ceiling for the mats you can drill holes in the fibre glass and use blind water proof pop riverts with some silicon to mount brackets off and one hook at the rear to loop the net over to stop things falling out the back. Mount some fishing rod holders to the side even if they end up either side of the window it shouldn't be a problem you might have to space them out a bit. Riverts won't hurt the canopy I've used them when I worked at tjm at customers request. I've bought white riverts at bunning before or you can colour them to suit.
AnswerID: 515994

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 12:44

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 12:44
You might already know but some locks on canopies are prone to getting choked up with dust and will stop working use vaseline on your key and work it into the lock to create a barrier to help prevent this happening don't use WD40 or similar I was told that attracts dust by the owner of tjm when I worked there.
FollowupID: 795284

Sponsored Links