Hot water problem

Submitted: Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 14:04
ThreadID: 103524 Views:1773 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody help me out as seem to be getting no help from van manufacturer. The hot water system in our van supplies hot water to the sink but only tepid water to the shower. this applies whether on gas or power.
Thanks Noel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: sonny - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 14:14

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 14:14
Noel

Most likely by the tempering valve in the hot water line to the shower. On my van it's under the floor. Either it needs adjusting or its gone faulty. Would be a standard domestic type. Cannot remember off my head how to adjust, but google would find it.

The hot water to the sink would be a separate hot water run and not go through the valve.

Cheers
AnswerID: 515781

Reply By: Thinkin - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 14:16

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 14:16
Hi Noel,

It'll be hard for anyone to help from here if you don't give more details, type of van, old or new, type of heating system, has the problem started recently or from new.

You might have partial blockage in your plumbing.

Alpero
AnswerID: 515782

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 15:41

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 15:41
Yeah, slightly more detail would make diagnosos a lot easier, and stop people with no experience with your make/model from having a "guess".
That said, however, a van plumber/repairer would be likely to have an idea. We have a Jayco repair agent just up the road, but he's experienced with all sorts and makes, so could possibly be helpful. I've used him a couple times when the manufacturer wasn't able (or willing?) to get detailed enough.
Worth cultivating a friendship with those blokes!
FollowupID: 795089

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 15:58

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 15:58
Yep, it'll be the tempering valve.

Get under the van and have a look for a valve objuect it will have a hot and cold water line going into it and a hot line running out of it.

It should have a red knob on it that you can turn to adjust the temperature issuing forth from the bathroom taps.

I've found that I can only put mine up to about 42 degrees C.
AnswerID: 515789

Reply By: Pathycop - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:35

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:35
Hi Noel, I'm no expert but I think I am allowed a guess. :)

I had this same problem but on the home system. Easy way to test it.

Feel/measure the temperature of the hot water before it goes into the tempering valve and compare that to the temp of the water after it passes through the valve.

Mine was stuck halfway open. 50 odd degrees into the valve and only 25 out of it. They do have a small adjustment on them. On mine Normally you remove the cap, turn it around there will be a recess in the top matching a male on the valve. That can be turned a little to vary the old water flow into the valve.

Mine was jammed and had to be replaced. Cost $ 150 for the plumber and part. I could have one it but too lazy!

Worth checking yourself before you pay someone for such a simple job..

Graeme
AnswerID: 515794

Reply By: Pathycop - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:44

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 16:44
Whilst we are throwing around theories to help you......

How far away is the shower from the water heater? Do the pipes run inside or outside the van? Are they insulated at all.

On my Golf, the pipes to the outside shower run under the van so are exposed to the elements. There is a noticeable difference in temperature compare to the sink.

Again, just theories for you to check out before surrendering to a repair shop.

Graeme
AnswerID: 515795

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 09:22

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 09:22
Sounds like the tempering valve is a safety valve, there to reduce temperature should you fall and scold yourself....try adjusting it, but if all else fails, you have the option to change it or remove it.
AnswerID: 515876

Sponsored Links