Photos in blog - thick black lines

Submitted: Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 18:13
ThreadID: 103529 Views:962 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have just completed a blog and inserted photos. The first few went in okay but the rest have thick black lines above and below, especially below. I did not resize the pics as I understand that is no longer necessary. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Thanks,
Min
John 'n' Min

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 18:53

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 18:53
Hi Min,

This is because all allocated "spaces" for images in our image gallery are the same size, but to maintain the correct aspect ratio when photos are uploaded we may need to "fill" a certain amount of space. So for example if an image is in landscape the black space will appear above and below the image, if it is in portrait it will appear to the left and right of the image.

I hope this information helps, and if you require any further details, please just let me know.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 515805

Follow Up By: Member - Min (NSW) - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 21:36

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 21:36
Thanks Adele, I just couldn't understand when they are all landscape why the first few were quite okay and all the rest have the thick lines. It is really not important but I wondered if there was some limit on the size/number of photos in a blog.

Min
John 'n' Min

FollowupID: 795111

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 23:59

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 23:59
Min, You can manually adjust the size and remove the lines however it may cause you some issues in terms of layout. So go back and Edit the blog entry using the Edit button. Best thing to do is take a copy of the full text box before you start (copy and paste into notepad or email of something).

Then have a look at where the photos are in the text you will see [gi]123456,250,175,L[/gi] or something similar. You may not have as many commas but you can add them. I will explain what each is:

[gi] - start of gallery image item
123456 - this is the gallery item id number - do not change this the number represents the id of the image in the database
250- this is the width of the image box in pixels
175 - this is the height of the image box in pixels
L or R - left or right justify the image
[/gi] - end of gallery image

So the first thing to do is trigger the preview mode - press Preview and scroll down now right click on one of you images with the black bars and open the image properties - it should how you the actual width and height of the image being shown. Then work out which set of [gi] tags you will need to edit (count them). Then simply change the width and height numbers to match your photo and hit preview again. This should show you the result of your update.

You can do this for all your images and then whilst in the preview mode you can click and drag the images to make them bigger or smaller also.

It is a little hard to write all this I must create a video.

But have a crack and see what happens - if you stuff it up just copy and paste back the original text and it will put the blog back together again. Or of course create a new one and play around with one or two images and see what goes where.

Hope this helps
David...
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 795115

Follow Up By: Member - Min (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 11:08

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 11:08
Thanks, David
I always create my blog on the go in Word then copy into EO blog, add pics then, in preview, drag lower rhs 'handle' to increase size. I'll now change the code and see how that goes.
Many thanks,
Min
John 'n' Min

FollowupID: 795126

Follow Up By: Member - Min (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 13:02

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 13:02
Hi again David,

I think I understood your instructions and had a go on most of the crook photos and also compared the figures with the first pics which were okay. There was a significant difference in the dimensions. As nearly all have been placed 2 across I would have imagined that they would all be pretty much the same but the earlier ones which were okay were e.g. 377 px by 283 px whereas the following ones were e.g.381 x 214. So I changed the numbers in the 'code', hit preview again but there was no change.

Just wanted to let you know what I have done but it is not important so please don't spend any more time on it - especially as it's the weekend!

Cheers,
Min
John 'n' Min

FollowupID: 795134

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 19:07

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 19:07
Hi Min,

I've just tested this and it all worked correctly, I just changed the image heights in that code, so if you have a look at your blog now it should look fine.

Please give it another go when you submit this next blog and let me know if you are able to get it to work or not.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 795248

Follow Up By: Member - Min (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 12:35

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 12:35
Many thanks Adele, I don't know what I did wrong.
Cheers
Min
John 'n' Min

FollowupID: 795283

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)