Cape York trip in kombi

Myself and a mate are leaving Brisbane at the end of September this year for Cape York.
I wonder if anyone who has done the trip could inform me if we need permits or anything special to go into certain areas. I know when we did a Simpson Desert trip in 2006 we purchased permits through ExplorOz and that was good.
Appreciate any advice, thanks.
dce350
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - OnYaBike - Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 22:40

Friday, Aug 02, 2013 at 22:40
Your Jardine Ferry fee ($130) includes permission to travel and camp within the Northern Peninsula Area. The end of September is in the middle of the school holiday period so the roads will be fairly busy and dusty. If you can hold off a couple of weeks the place empties out rapidly giving you much less traffic and plenty of room in the camping spots.
AnswerID: 515821

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 10:17

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 10:17
OnYaBike

Qld NPWS web site shows you have to book and pay for the North Jardine Camping area and Ussher Point which are both located after the ferry.

Could some please clarify.

Thanks
FollowupID: 795121

Follow Up By: Member - OnYaBike - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 18:07

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 18:07
The reference to Ussher Point in ExplorOz says free camp and the couple of threads on Ussher Point do not mention fees.
Don't know where the North Jardine camping area would be, I've camped at the Jardine mouth (North bank, about 5 km from Mutee Heads) many times. Always seem to be mosquitoes there.
Anyway I don't think anyone will be going to either place in a Kombie. They'll get to Mutee Heads OK but there are several sandy stretches on the track to the Jardine mouth.
FollowupID: 795142

Sponsored Links