The Saga continues...

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 08:10
ThreadID: 103534 Views:2195 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Me again, Mr Procrastination.Well, in my last post I announced that the MOWAF wanted a Pajero exceed as a LC200 was far too large. Problem solved, no worries, all happy. Not quite, she took a 200 Sahara for a test drive and now she is smitten. My concerns are, although a lot of people complain about the oil usage of the d4d V8's, they seem to settle after about 50-60000kms, is this true? Also it seems that some components on the engine, eg starter motor and injectors are very expensive to change/work on. That said in the test drive it seemed a mighty impressive vehicle, although a very expensive Toorak Taxi, which is essentially what it will be to us for around 90% of the time. Anyway, please help with any info and opinions. Thanx in advance...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 08:58

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 08:58
You will find that owners report that the issue is long dead, about 4 years ago. Most people find that they use 0 - 1 litre of oil per 10,000km ie between services, I guess this is similar to most modern cars. A couple of pre July 2009 ones used a lot more. There was a fix in production and for owners in July 2009.

Check out Lcool.org a Landcruiiser owners forum, tons of 200 owners. As a guess, there are about 800 happy 200 series owners and about 5 - 10 non happy owners.

Ignore any comments on this forum from people that know someone that had... or have a son that has.... mate of a mate stuff. As has been said before, most owners are happy and some non owners 'hear' of horror stories. I think a recent survey on Lcool showed 97% of 200 owners would buy one again.

You will also find that the overall outside size is not much different. It's how it is used in the 200. The 200 is about 90mm longer, 100mm wider and same height. The big difference is that the 200 is a later design and uses the space better. ( eg check the width of the guards verses the door body width and you will get the picture)

My other advice having come from a Pajero to a 200, is that take both for a quick drive on a dirt road. The noise level difference will sell you instantly. The 200 is very quiet compared to the Pajero indeed.

Good luck on whatever you chose.

AnswerID: 515825

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 10:36

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 10:36
If using up to 1lt of oil over 10k km, I'd be fitting a Provent 200 pretty quick . . . unless thre's another reason why so much is used.

Even my Ranger 3.0lt TDI there's barely any discernible oil use between 10k services (I've never needed to top off any oil, ever), but the oil catch can has so far kept around 300ml out of the air recirulation to the intake manifold, now just on 3-1/2 months / 10k since fitting.

I drain the oil (from an extended hose with a tap on it) approx monthly, but if losing more than this amount, I'd think about getting it plumbed back to the sump with an anti return valve fitted.

Decided to fit the Provent after I cleaned MAF / MAP sensors at 45k or so, the MAP was chockers with oil and particles.
Hoses too after the turbo, all lined with oil.

Keen to check this again at about 70k to see how much better the catch can is keeping it all clean.
FollowupID: 795125

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 08:58

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 08:58
Why don't you take her down to the local Land Rover dealer and put her in a Range Rover or Discovery 4 HSE and see the look on her face, it just may surprise you. At a slightly cheaper price too.

Cheers

Merv
AnswerID: 515826

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 13:55

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 13:55
I think they are after a 4wd.....not a tractor. LOL
FollowupID: 795135

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 09:26

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 09:26
Surprising they have been out for 6 years, the first few years they did have a few teething problems but few and far between.

So why do people still harp on about these problems, maybe those who don't own them are jealous....... me think "Tall poppy syndrome".

And Boobook; you are right, it seems those who own a 200 series loves it and has no real mechanical problems..... and those who don't seem to know everyone who has had a problem..... by first name!, and they hate the 200 series.

As a strong tough on and off road workhorse for long distance travel and towing, nothing comes close..... but it is no luxury 4x4.

People compare the 200 series against the Land Rover Discovery/Range Rover but really they are two different beasts, sure they are both very capable on and off road but the 200 series wins as a true hard working tourer.... and the Land Rover wins for their refinement and poise.

Then again Toyota have got the Lexus for that.

We thought seriously about a Land Rover but being smaller, not having decent fuel carrying capacity, the lack of aftermarket 4x4 parts (THEN), limited tyre selection and a much smaller dealer network plus lack of resale. We chose the 200 series. ..... if I was after something for around town and shorter outback trips I may of went with the Land Rover.
AnswerID: 515828

Reply By: ModSquad - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 10:17

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 10:17
Hello

This is your fifth thread on the same subject. It is against forum rules to start a new thread while you have an existing thread still active (in this instance your last two threads on this subject are still alive and well).

No big deal but it now means anyone who is following the course of your "saga" has to find and read through each individual thread, these being 101182, 101668, 103067 and 103320. As I am sure you understand, it would be better if the entire dialogue was in one thread.

So, PLEASE don't start another thread on this subject. Post any updates you have in this thread (unless this one gets archived in the meantime).

We will let this one go, but in the future repeat threads will be moderated (as inappropriate) and hidden.

Also please don't respond to this post - contact us via the "alert moderator" button if you wish to discuss.

Cheers
The ModSquad
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515832

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 12:37

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 12:37
Just buy the Paj mate, save some money and will do the job for you very nicely.
AnswerID: 515837

Follow Up By: G_Banger - Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 09:42

Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 09:42
I'm afraid she seems settled on the 200 series, i'm thinking probably 2011-2012 Altitude it seems to have all the good bits, going over east for a holiday at xmas and will buy one in Perth on the return leg in early January. Can't wait to get some mods and go 4wding next year, maybe Gibb river rd in June-July 2014 and Nulligine-Marble Bar road/ Great Sandy desert after that. Will definately join as a member next year, will prob need all the help i can get as i will prob get bogged a lot lol, thanks to everyone for their advice/thoughts to my numerous questions.
FollowupID: 795479

Sponsored Links